News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Roll call for all the homebrewers!

Started by culturejam, July 28, 2012, 01:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Also, people here know vastly more than me, so I have a question...

My SOP is to use a can of that malt stuff, and a kilo of the inverted dextrose stuff that is a nuisance to get (compared to normal sugar). What would happen if I used two cans of malt and no dextrose? Would I need to use more than 23 litres total in the fermenter? Would it turn out stronger than normal, with more flavour?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pedalman

Give it a shot, I used to double my malt all the time. You will get a higher gravity but sometimes it takes a little longer for the yeast to get going. Got to love that yeast poop ! LOL

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on January 22, 2014, 08:35:37 AM
My SOP is to use a can of that malt stuff, and a kilo of the inverted dextrose stuff that is a nuisance to get (compared to normal sugar). What would happen if I used two cans of malt and no dextrose? Would I need to use more than 23 litres total in the fermenter? Would it turn out stronger than normal, with more flavour?

What is the volume of the cans of malt?

You will end up with a beer that is likely going to be slightly less strong in terms of alcohol (can't tell how much without knowing the malt quantity), but you will have a much more "robust" tasting beer. The invert sugar is 100% fermentable and contributes zero to color or flavor (or aroma). The malt syrup is about 65% fermentable sugars, and the rest being non-fermentable sugars, melanoidan compounds, and other complex sugars that are the result of Maillard reactions that happen during the malting process. Lots of good caramelly tastes and smells in that stuff. :)

So yeah, more flavor and body, and probably a little less alcohol. That's the way I would go.  You can still add a cup or two of plain table sugar if you want to jank up the gravity a bit. Despite what people have historically said about table sugar, it does not impart "off flavors".
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

Forgot to mention:

Your final/terminal gravity will also be higher because of the additional unfermentable sugars. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on how much body you like in a beer, or the beer style you are aiming for.

alanp

Hmmm. When I have enough 1.5L bottles spare to do another batch, I'll have to buy two cans of stout malt-extract-brew-stuff and ask again here with the details for 'em :)

(I like strong bodied beer!)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Handy hint -- did a bit of googling tonight, and the search term you want for two can extract brewing is "toucan". Apparently Aussie homebrewers are quite strongly into this.

Definitely going to have to have a crack at this. Going by the forum threads I've found, though, it froths up like mad, so I might add the sugar a few days into the fermentation.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Loaded up the fermenter tonight :) (Had Korpiklaani playing on the stereo -- figured it to be appropriate, given their track record with song names.)

1x can Coopers OS Dark Ale (1.7kg, I think)
1x can Coopers OS Real Ale (same)
1KG Coopers Brew Enhancer (dextrose, light dry malt extract, maltodextrin, supposed to be good for dark full bodied stuff, I dunno.)
made to 23 liters

Brand on the basis it was the cheapest at Supervalue :)

OG of roughly 1.058, I think. (I need to replace my plastic thingy you put liquid in to use the hydrometer... don't know the name of it.)

Hope it doesn't overflow my 30L fermenter.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

nzCdog

Oh man.. another dredge, this time an even older thread. 

I have just discovered the delights of homebrew beer...  Student life (and trying to save money on beer) has also opened my mind in unexpected ways ;D

I started earlier this year with the Mangrove Jacks Starter box, and have been brewing kits in the plastic drum.  Have done a half dozen brews now, my favourite so far is Coppers European Lager.  Excited about my first Blackrock Pilsener Blonde bubbling away atm. Good fun!

Here's a photo of my temperature controller for the brew cupboard. 

Arduino based, thermistor set and forget @21.5 °C.  Thermostat switches the power socket, to which I connect a small heater in the cupboard.  Anyone else brewing atm?

culturejam

Holy shit. I forgot I even owned that fermentor in the first post.  ;D

jabe

I've been homebrewing for a few years doing half-size batches, 2.5 - 3 gallons or roughly 12L, just enough for a case of bottles. Took last year off because of house repairs and the fact that I'd created a back log of strong beers that were "aging". Basically I make a lighter batch then reuse the yeast for a stronger one. I told myself I couldn't make any more until I worked my way through all of these quadruples and dopplebocks...

nzCdog

Wow! I had never heard of  reusing yeast, (and yet it seems kinda obvious now that I think about it...) Just googled it... Fascinating! :)

jabe

You don't have to get fancy "washing" yeast for reuse, just put the new batch on the old yeast cake or save some trub from the first batch in the fridge if you can't turn around that quickly. It helps to save a little money. One advantage of doing half-size batches and reusing the yeast to make a stronger brews is that I rarely have to make starters.

nzCdog

Quote from: jabe on September 25, 2023, 09:44:12 PM
You don't have to get fancy "washing" yeast for reuse, just put the new batch on the old yeast cake or save some trub from the first batch in the fridge if you can't turn around that quickly. It helps to save a little money. One advantage of doing half-size batches and reusing the yeast to make a stronger brews is that I rarely have to make starters.
Oh really?  I have just been using the dry yeast that comes with the kits... we're still at that stage here.
Perhaps I can look into trying nicer yeast, and then hopefully re-use it  :)

gordo

Starter batches and yeast harvesting is a game changer, expecially getting a batch to get started quicker.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?