Main Menu

Doubling up the MN3008 as an MN3005

Started by aballen, April 15, 2013, 05:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

what?

Quote from: midwayfair on April 16, 2013, 06:52:40 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on April 16, 2013, 06:47:47 PM
Have you thought about the 8 connections going to properly spaced pin headers so that it could be directly soldered to the board (or inserted into a socket below).  If you used longer headers, one could use a deeper enclosure and just have this daughter-board hover above the main PCB.  It might save some wiring hassle and clean up the interior of the pedal.

+10^16

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on April 16, 2013, 08:16:46 PM
I did consider that, originally I had an IC1 for that purpose.  I think this is more versatile since I might want to put two of these in a DBD or an aqua puss.  Depending on where this is being used two of these might not fit if they need to be attached like a daughterboard. 

For example, in the DBD and Aquaboy the BBDs are right on top of each other, trying to mount two of these would create overlap... I could modify it to work in this configuration... but then it would not work side by side.

The board mounted pots(which I love) might get in the way, so your stuck with offboard wiring pots or this, or hovering this board 11-12mm above some caps. 

I don't know, seems messy no matter how you slice it.  I'm thinking the smallest board give you more options for placement.... maybe I'll wait to see what the new DBD layout looks like.

Also bigger board means more $$.

I hear what you are saying about less off board wiring though, I do hate that.

Quote from: pickdropper on April 16, 2013, 06:47:47 PM
Have you thought about the 8 connections going to properly spaced pin headers so that it could be directly soldered to the board (or inserted into a socket below).  If you used longer headers, one could use a deeper enclosure and just have this daughter-board hover above the main PCB.  It might save some wiring hassle and clean up the interior of the pedal.

I don't really think it needs to be that much bigger as you don't need to allocate space for an entire 16-pin DIP.  You just need 8 holes (which you already have) and space them so they could be used to directly interface with the board.  You might even be able to slide some components within the hole spacing. The option to wire them off board would still exist.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

aballen

Ok I see why you are saying.  I'll give it a go, see if I can make that work.

Stomptown

I don't know, seems messy no matter how you slice it.  I'm thinking the smallest board give you more options for placement.... maybe I'll wait to see what the new DBD layout looks like.

Yeah, especially if you want to squeeze a road rage in as well!

aballen

I definitely do!  My spider power supply, has 8 300ma jacks at 9v, so I have no problem stepping up the power... 150ma at 18v... not sure what the draw is on a DBD or Aquaboy, but I'm pretty confident I have room there.

Quote from: Stomptown on April 17, 2013, 01:53:17 AM
I don't know, seems messy no matter how you slice it.  I'm thinking the smallest board give you more options for placement.... maybe I'll wait to see what the new DBD layout looks like.

Yeah, especially if you want to squeeze a road rage in as well!

aballen

Ok I gave it a shot, its pretty tight, I managed to avoid any vias, but it is double sided, no way around it.  I routed it all manually, but I think I managed to keep it pretty small.  Does this look correct?

Edited, found an un-routed trace, man this is hard!

aballen

Well I order a set.  My first PCB order, hopefully it works!

Stomptown

Quote from: aballen on April 19, 2013, 04:38:06 PM
Well I order a set.  My first PCB order, hopefully it works!

If it does are you planning a small run? If so I would love two of them!!!

LaceSensor

pickdropper

Quote from: LaceSensor on April 20, 2013, 05:52:01 AM
nice revised layout

Yeah, the layout looks much better.  The only thing I would consider changing (and this is being somewhat picky), is that I would put the pin headers that mount to the main board as close to the center as possible.  That way, there won't be as much cantilever force when it is installed.  Right now, it is somewhat like a diving board hanging of the mounting pins.
Function f(x)

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on April 20, 2013, 11:42:28 AM
nice revised layout

Yeah, the layout looks much better.  The only thing I would consider changing (and this is being somewhat picky), is that I would put the pin headers that mount to the main board as close to the center as possible.  That way, there won't be as much cantilever force when it is installed.  Right now, it is somewhat like a diving board hanging of the mounting pins.

It looks like the IC of the far right could be moved to the far left pretty easily...

pickdropper

Quote from: Stomptown on April 20, 2013, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on April 20, 2013, 11:42:28 AM
nice revised layout

It looks like the IC of the far right could be moved to the far left pretty easily...

That was my thought as well.
Function f(x)

aballen

I already ordered six.  If any one wants a one I can spare a couple.

Maybe I'll take a crack at moving the far right IC over.  I'll wait to see if I'm ordering any more before making changes though.

I can definitely do a small run if there is interest.  Since I got it so small it's pretty cheap even from osh park.  I'll post a few pics when I get them.

Neurowork

That's a nice initiative. I was going use 4 MN3008 in an Aquaboy DX build using 2 vero daughterboards but pcbs would be much better.
If you're successful I'll love to get 2 of those :)

aballen

I made a centered version.  Have not ordered any yet, but if the first batch works out, then I expect this one will too.