Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for a nice throaty wah?

Started by Mark_McQ, April 13, 2011, 07:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: joegagan on January 27, 2013, 11:09:31 PM
thanks guys.

someone told me the actuator inside is the same technology as the thing inside an ipad that detects position.
Accelorometer? Nice
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

As long as they keep it analog....
I wonder how you'd adjust the sweep range with an accelerometer....hmm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jimilee

Quote from: ch1naski on February 02, 2013, 07:20:27 AM
As long as they keep it analog....
I wonder how you'd adjust the sweep range with an accelerometer....hmm.

It's all digital so I bet it's in the programming. I still think the cons outweigh the pros in this type pedal.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

So many effects have been replicated digitally. And that's not always good.  The wah circuit is just so good and versatile as a analog circuit. Digital modeling and control aren't good enough yet to capture whatever it is that makes people love the wah sound and feel of the pedal.

one louder.

joegagan

i have several theories about what makes a real analog inductor wah sound and feel so special.

the simple analog path is one,

the taper of the pot and how it charges and discharges the cap to ground off the inductor are another ( time factor for charge/ discharge as it relates to how the pot loads it).

pots are not all mfgr'd the same. since the pot in a wah is a divider,  the R going to either side at any point may be more or less of the sum total , lots of little variables.

the distortion in the circ is a real key to the character. very easy to manipulate in bipolar trans analog, a little trickier to simulate or modulate gracefully in more complex arrangements.

jimilee

I agree, in a since digital is too perfect. There's no lune noise moat of the time, like the old tape delays, it needs those circuits combined to create the character ea h circuit has. As an example, the Foo Fighters had a while album recorded digitally and trashed it to go back and record on tape to get that feeling you just can't reproduce. Just my 2k

ch1naski

Quote from: joegagan on February 02, 2013, 07:32:54 PM

the distortion in the circ is a real key to the character. very easy to manipulate in bipolar trans analog, a little trickier to simulate or modulate gracefully in more complex arrangements.

And to my ears, impossible to simulate digitally. (And in the end, it's only about the ears.)

one louder.

jimilee

Quote from: ch1naski on February 03, 2013, 03:26:12 AM
Quote from: joegagan on February 02, 2013, 07:32:54 PM

And to my ears, impossible to simulate digitally. (And in the end, it's only about the ears.)

Wow, I'm glad you understood that, I just looked at it,stoopid cell phone

ch1naski

That's not so bad...every time I try to type the word "post", my phone keyboard types "puss".:o

one louder.

joegagan

did a little boomerang makeoveri call 'rusty mustard". on its way to canada as we speak!

ch1naski

Quote from: joegagan on February 08, 2013, 03:23:46 AM
did a little boomerang makeoveri call 'rusty mustard". on its way to canada as we speak!

I really gotta get on the ball with my wah.....

one louder.