News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well that just happened....

Started by jjjimi84, April 03, 2019, 03:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

My son asked for some juice, I promptly got it for him put my wife on speaker phone and set the phone down.  Little guy wanted to ask mom something and knocked my guitar over, headstock shot off like a rocket! what a great way to start my birthday.

Any one ever fix something like this? Should I take it to a luthier or diy it.

pickdropper

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 03, 2019, 03:24:56 PM

My son asked for some juice, I promptly got it for him put my wife on speaker phone and set the phone down.  Little guy wanted to ask mom something and knocked my guitar over, headstock shot off like a rocket! what a great way to start my birthday.

Any one ever fix something like this? Should I take it to a luthier or diy it.

Ouch, I'm really sorry that happened.

Personally, I would take it to a luthier.  You might be able to fix it yourself, but they will likely be able to make it stronger and look nicer.  The better ones I've seen used splines for a complete break like that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

I know when Feline fix breaks they put carbon fibre rods in there... Reckon it's s luthier job to do it properly.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

TFZ

I watched THIS the other day. Your break seems easier to fix because its longer and hopefully has no pieces missing. Still very annoying and sad, you have my sympathies  :'(.

jjjimi84

Thank you for the sympathy! I am still shocked, I feel bad as the little guy started crying and told me to fix it right now.

The break is clean, nothing is missing and after removing all of the tuners the head stock fits back on like a glove. I have not used any luthiers in my area and am also tentative letting anyone touch my babies.

TFZ

In that case I would probably try to fix it myself. What a luthier will probably do better though is fix it cosmetically. Also, happy birthday!

AlBDarned

Oh man, that hurts a LOT!!!

Looks like you have a lot of surface for gluing, so that's good.  A good glue joint can be stronger than the wood itself, so hopefully you'll be fine in the long run.  If you're going to do it yourself, make sure you do a solid dry run with your clamping before you start putting glue on it.

Good luck!

jimilee

If you're uncertain, take to a luthier. If you glue it and mess it up, you're then screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I feel bad for your son too.  It can be quite traumatic for a small kid to see that their parent isn't able to fully control the world around them all the time and is, in fact, vulnerable to sudden harm.  Doubly traumatic to realize that they caused the harm.  At least no people were physically injured (I assume).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jjjimi84

I feel terrible for him, I just hung up the phone and went "uggh that happened". I just picked him up and told him it was an accident, no big deal.

I found a luthier by me i am going to send pictures to and get a quote if its a reasonable price i may got that route. What i am leaning more towards is saving myself some cash and doing it myself, film the whole process and with the money saved get an airbrush to use to paint my pedals.

Decisions decisions

EBK

Happy birthday, by the way.   ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jjjimi84

Quote from: EBK on April 03, 2019, 07:43:14 PM
Happy birthday, by the way.   ;)

Thank you! The mighty 35, let loose the gray hair and bald spot!

matmosphere

That spot is really weak on Gibsons, and they frequently break there so I'm sure most luthier's have fixed tons of them.

If you want to diy it then hop on a guitar building or repairing forum and post some picks and talk to guys with a lot of experience doing that stuff. They might be able to help you decide what to do.

I know the Tele Home Depot over at tdpri.com is an amazing group, and can be really helpful. I might start there if I were you. I made a (bad) guitar a few years ago and it would have been much worse without those guys.

I think the gold standard is to use hot Hyde glue for those repairs. it can be a very strong (as mentioned above, stronger than the wood) joint when done. But the glue is heated and needs to be worked with pretty quickly before it cools down, and if you mess it up it will be much worse to fix at that point.

Happy Birthday BTW

mjg

I've used poly urethane glue when building guitars in the past.  It's stronger than the wood, but you do need to clamp it while it dries, as it foams and expands.  You will need to wipe it as it bubbles out of the gaps, and you can end up with a mess if you leave it alone for too long. 

If you do decide to diy, I would suggest you get a few bits of cheap pine off cuts and try whatever glue you use first, to get an idea for how it works. 

nzCdog