News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drilling an already powder coated enclosure?

Started by add4, December 10, 2011, 07:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

I agree with all the above. Just be very careful if you are using a spring punch. I've had beautiful boxes flake off the powder when using the spring punch. Safer to use tape and a pen.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

Ha! Good point, never thought of that. I've only done bare boxes so far and springpunched the heck out of them. :-)

sent from my mobile device

peAk

rullywowr

Quote from: peAk on March 31, 2014, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on March 31, 2014, 01:41:37 PM
Safer to use tape and a pen.

Can you elaborate on this? I am interested.

If you have a painted box it is best to tape over where you are going to drill and mark with a pen on the tape. Then drill on your pen marks. I've had bad luck using a spring punch on powered enclosures - it can knock off the powder.

peAk

Quote from: rullywowr on March 31, 2014, 03:05:26 PM

If you have a painted box it is best to tape over where you are going to drill and mark with a pen on the tape. Then drill on your pen marks. I've had bad luck using a spring punch on powered enclosures - it can knock off the powder.

oh okay, I got you. So when doing this method with a handheld drill, do you do any kind of starter hole?

davent

I would avoid big box/retail drill bits at all costs. Find a specialty tool dealer and spend the bucks for the good stuff, the drill bits they keep behind the front counter, night and day in terms of sharpness and durabilty and if you're using a Unibit you only need a few sizes of very small, high-end bits.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

Quote from: peAk on March 31, 2014, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on March 31, 2014, 03:05:26 PM

oh okay, I got you. So when doing this method with a handheld drill, do you do any kind of starter hole?

Yes. Using a small drill like 1/8" is what I do to ensure you hit the marks accurately.

Clayford

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 13, 2012, 04:00:39 PM
I'd get a new bit for sure. Also, you can pop a little 3in1 oil in there from time to time too. I don't normally have to do this, but I toss some in once in a while to help with friction issues.
This. With a little lube, and a lot of patience, you can drill most anything.

3in1, 10w-30, olive oil, anything works. 
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

rullywowr

Yes.  When drilling metal just like my shop teacher said.... "Slow speed, Slow feed." 

I have my drill press on the lowest speed setting.  You can use oil as well, but just be extra careful to get it all off if you are powdercoating afterwards.  Acetone/Naptha works well for this.

Clayford

Quote from: davent on March 31, 2014, 03:07:58 PM
I would avoid big box/retail drill bits at all costs. Find a specialty tool dealer and spend the bucks for the good stuff, the drill bits they keep behind the front counter, night and day in terms of sharpness and durabilty and if you're using a Unibit you only need a few sizes of very small, high-end bits.
dave

Carbide tip Jobber length, If they look at you blanky (uh... wut? Blink. Blink.) , keep your wallet closed and run away.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

lincolnic

I put tape over the entire box when I drill - all of the metal shavings that'll be flying around can scratch the powdercoat otherwise, even as you're wiping them off, and I don't want to mar the nice finish.