News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Leicester have won the Premier League (amazing underdog story)!

Started by raulduke, May 03, 2016, 03:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Yes.. it's Football talk, but I know some of you guys follow it  :)

Leicester City FC won the Premier League last night.

The odds for that at the start of the season were 5000/1!

They barely avoided relegation last season.

The team cost less than a tenth of Manchester City's, with their top scorer playing in non-league (non-professional) football 8 years ago.

Someone put it well on the radio 'It's the equivalent of the 1988 Jamaican Bob Sleigh Team having actually won at the Olympics'  ;D

I've honestly never known anything like it in Football (closest is probably Nott's Forest's achievements in the 80's IMO).

It's got to be one of the greatest sporting achievements. Perhaps the greatest in Football.

To win a cup is one thing. For a team like Leicester to win the league (38 matches over a season) is just totally unheard of.

jtn191

aw yeah, congrats to them. One of my family members studied overseas in Leicester and did a project on the team. Cool for them to do so unexpectedly well

alanp

Hard work pays off, then? :)

Granted, soccer is not rugby, but at least you're not talking about gridiron! (That one where all the players put on body armour first.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Yeah they all put a shift in that's for sure.

No egos, teamwork and hard graft got them there over individual skill etc.

They are all on a smidgen of the wages of Wayne rooney et al...

It's nice as it's made a lot of these overpaid prima donnas look very silly indeed.

culturejam

Great story this year. I really didn't follow the game much this season, but I always love to watch the game.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Muadzin

Victories like this make the game interesting. It's always so boring to see the same names always winning time after time. Why bother watching a competition if you know who is going to win anyway? Give me an upstart underdog any time. So kudos to Leicester!