News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda SMD FETs. Any opinions?

Started by somnif, December 03, 2017, 12:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

So I was loading up on parts for my latest batch of impulsively bought boards, and I discovered Tayda now has a couple SOT23 JFETs, specifically J201 and 2N5457 equivs.

At 9 cents a piece.

I know they've been occasionally a bit shady on some of their semiconductors, but I've not had much experience with surface stuff. Has anyone play with these before? They have tons in stock and I may buy a bagful if they're decent quality.

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on December 03, 2017, 12:27:20 AM
So I was loading up on parts for my latest batch of impulsively bought boards, and I discovered Tayda now has a couple SOT23 JFETs, specifically J201 and 2N5457 equivs.

At 9 cents a piece.

I know they've been occasionally a bit shady on some of their semiconductors, but I've not had much experience with surface stuff. Has anyone play with these before? They have tons in stock and I may buy a bagful if they're decent quality.

I think they are something like 10 or 11 cents at Mouser if you buy 100 pcs.  I would just get them there.  Then you can be sure of what you're getting.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

BrianS

You can get both at Arrow electronics for the same price as Mouser but you get free shipping.  Tayda's 201's are .17 ea.  Arrows are .14 ea.

I would get them from either Arrow or Mouser as Pickdropper suggested.  You know they will be quality parts.

pickdropper

Quote from: BrianS on December 03, 2017, 02:33:50 AM
You can get both at Arrow electronics for the same price as Mouser but you get free shipping.  Tayda's 201's are .17 ea.  Arrows are .14 ea.

I would get them from either Arrow or Mouser as Pickdropper suggested.  You know they will be quality parts.

Yeah, Arrow has been very competitive with pricing with the free shipping.  And you know the parts are solid as well.

Only downside is 100 SMT FETs will show up in 3 different 12"x12" boxes.  Hehe
Function f(x)

BrianS

Quote from: pickdropper on December 03, 2017, 02:38:51 AM
Quote from: BrianS on December 03, 2017, 02:33:50 AM

Yeah, Arrow has been very competitive with pricing with the free shipping.  And you know the parts are solid as well.

Only downside is 100 SMT FETs will show up in 3 different 12"x12" boxes.  Hehe

I have so much recyclable material from 2 orders this week that it's pretty crazy.  You could have put 1000 caps in the box that I got from the Netherlands with 10 film caps in it.  I totally agree that their shipping is completely nuts. 

somnif

Ok, Arrow it is. I was asking since I was building a Tayda order at the time and didn't want to spend extra shipping for another Mouser order. But Arrow, that works.

And, hell, I can use the box to wrap my parents Christmas gift in. A few FETs should come in a box large enough to fit a BluRay player in, definitely.

somnif

Well, this is a first. I ordered 6 items from Arrow, and its coming in 7 boxes. (Apparently they're sourcing my molex strip headers from two different suppliers).

And all for free. I'm getting a 70 cent package shipped from the Netherlands for nothing.

Arrow, how do you work....

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on December 04, 2017, 06:58:33 PM
Well, this is a first. I ordered 6 items from Arrow, and its coming in 7 boxes. (Apparently they're sourcing my molex strip headers from two different suppliers).

And all for free. I'm getting a 70 cent package shipped from the Netherlands for nothing.

It's total insanity.  Especially the free shipping from the Netherlands.  I still order from them, but I shake my head every time.
Function f(x)

BrianS

7 boxes is hilarious 😆.  I started laughing just thinking about the posts that Pick and I made on this insanity.  And wait till you get the boxes.  Most are 3/4s the size of a shoebox and you'll have one part in there with a butt load of brown packing paper (I do use the brown paper for covering stuff for spray painting).

I stopped the FedEx guy a month ago and asked him how could they do this and be profitable.  He said they had a contract and probably had an extremely favorable rate. 

I wish they would stock more of the jacks and switches like Mouser.  Their switches are really high price and they don't have many of the ones pedal builders use.  But as long as they have free shipping and I can find a part there I'll keep on buying.

pickdropper

Quote from: BrianS on December 04, 2017, 10:41:56 PM

7 boxes is hilarious 😆.  I started laughing just thinking about the posts that Pick and I made on this insanity.  And wait till you get the boxes.  Most are 3/4s the size of a shoebox and you'll have one part in there with a butt load of brown packing paper (I do use the brown paper for covering stuff for spray painting).

I stopped the FedEx guy a month ago and asked him how could they do this and be profitable.  He said they had a contract and probably had an extremely favorable rate. 

I wish they would stock more of the jacks and switches like Mouser.  Their switches are really high price and they don't have many of the ones pedal builders use.  But as long as they have free shipping and I can find a part there I'll keep on buying.

They have great pricing on the Lumberg DC jacks if you can swing 250 pcs of them.  It'd probably be worth it for somebody to run a group buy if they were inclined (I don't have time for it).
Function f(x)