News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Medium profile Doppelganger

Started by soldersqueeze, May 16, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

I was fortunate enough to snag one of Alan's fabbed doppelganger 1.4 boards, which are a real work of art. It seems like we're due a glut of these as I know there are people with boards waiting to be boxed up, so I'll kick things off with this-

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the CuddleToan DoopleGanja!!

So cute!
Only 4 inches wide, it takes up roughly a quarter of the real estate of the real thing. I managed to get the knobs in the correct order using 12mm and 9mm pots, but I couldn't manage the rotary switches :( The only feature missing is the spectral/ true bypass switch, other than that it is fully featured. (full disclosure- I haven't checked the exp pedal jacks as I don't have the correct pedal to do so).
Now, I admit it was probably stupid to un-do all of Alan's excellent work making the pots and switches board mounted, but I couldn't resist the look of the originals.
The result is very much in the "unicorn vomit" school of wiring. I call this masterpiece "Rainbow Waterfalls"

As you can see I had to mount the PCB onto a square of plastic I JB Weld'd to the enclosure over the jacks. I covered the plastic in copper shielding tape and earthed it to the enclosure in an attempt to reduce noise (it seemed to work..). It was a bit of a test of patience and skill, but well worth it. Actually it was quite fun to play with off board wiring after a period of building those easy-peasy MadBean boards  ;D
I think my next build will be a Big Cheese clone into the same type of enclosure (Hammond 1456CE3WHBU) which should be a cool pairing. Then, onto the Ring Stinger perhaps  :o

rullywowr

Wow, really nice job!  Like the originality of the paint and the enclosure itself.  Where did you find that enclosure? 

I think the paint job is cool, it almost looks like an appliance you would find on a Grandmother's kitchen counter...and I mean that in the nicest possible way   ;D

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

Super impressive build man! I'm always a big fan of projects that push us to our limits! Great candidate for the May contest I'd say!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

Now THAT is nice. I like all the little details, from 'Cuddletoan' to the alternating jack types on top :) like Jacob said, serious contender.

What do you think of the sound, and the build itself?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

THAT is badassery at it's finest. Such a complement to his design. I can't wait to get mine going for sure.....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

soldersqueeze

Thanks guys!

Quote from: rullywowr on May 16, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
Where did you find that enclosure?

It's from Mouser, they have a full range of sizes over at the hammond website. Get on it, they're awesome!

Quote from: alanp on May 16, 2013, 05:16:51 PM

What do you think of the sound, and the build itself?

Alan, I have to say you put together a really nice project. Omitting the wiring, which was obviously my own dumb decision, it's no harder than a "Genius" MadBean build. Using the board mounted controls I could build them all day! You did a superb job. Only tried it out for a while, so i'll update tomorrow, but I was digging the sound earlier!

jvg13

juansolo

This is really rather brilliant!  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

D'awwww.

So. Many. Wires. That would drive me nuts wiring it up ....

soldersqueeze

I forgot to mention this in the first post, but when buying the parts for this I ordered more photocells than I needed with thoughts of matching them. Those thoughts went out the window when the first four I checked fell within around 5%  :)
So, if there is anyone in the UK with one of these doppleganger boards using Futurlec's shipping charges as an excuse for not building this pedal up, I will send you the correct futurlec 2A photocells for your build for free on the condition you promise to finish your build by the end of the month! Limited to the UK because I happen to have some stamps and a local post box, I can't be bothered going to the post office. Sorry :(
That's right kids, free photocells. Just don't lie and take them for a tremolo build because that would suck and you would suck and this forum is a sucky people free-zone.
One set only.

EDIT- these are now gone!

juansolo

I've got a board on the way, can't say I could get it done by the end of the month though. I haven't even ordered the bits for it yet...   :'(
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

soldersqueeze

Quote from: juansolo on May 16, 2013, 06:24:15 PM
I've got a board on the way, can't say I could get it done by the end of the month though. I haven't even ordered the bits for it yet...   :'(

The end of the month is flexible, I just want to see them out there! Shoot me an address in a PM if you're willing to get it done sooner than later :D I just thought I'd share the love

pryde

I Love it man.

Do a demo and get that baby into the May contest  :)

Strategy

I saw your post on DIYSB, glad to see people getting psyched about slanted front enclosures. Hammond and Heeger both make nice ones.

My first "Loveclone" pedal was Big Cheese which I did in a similar one

I recently built the Meat Sphere from musicpcb.com and ended up using a typical "flat" enclosure since it has the big board mounted rotary switches. But I am thinking I'll do my Doppelganger and Ring Stringer projects in slanted enclosures, try to get a nod to the original Lovetones  :)

Haberdasher

That.is.awesome!
Love the unicorn puke!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS