News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PNP Fuzz power

Started by wretched, November 06, 2013, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

Probably a dumb question, but could I just change the polarity on the DC plug for a PNP fuzz pedal? Like connect the negative to the positive on the jack?

I am guessing it will create problems seeing it seems like the easiest way.

garfo

I'm pretty sure you can do that.You'll have to sacrifice that power transformer though.

RobA

You can only do this if the transformer power output is isolated. If you use a separate transformer for the one pedal or if your transformer has isolated taps it will work. If the taps aren't isolated, doing this will cause a dead short from the power rail to ground. You would also need to mark the jacks well and remember what you did. The problem is that everyone is really used to one standard with the 2.1mm DC jacks. MAcking a mistake and plugging into the wrong power supply is just way too easy.

My personal preference is to do something to generate the negative rail in the pedal.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

selfdestroyer

I tired this with a 1Spot I had years ago and like RobA says

QuoteIf the taps aren't isolated, doing this will cause a dead short from the power rail to ground.

No worky.

davent

My approach is, from what i've measured, my positive ground pedals with high intensity LED's draw such a small amount of current, batteries seem to last forever so i just go with a battery.

You could add a charge pump circuit to your pedal such as Madbean's  Road Rage and then you could you add it to your string of powered pedals with no worries over the mixed grounds.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?