News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A 'what took so long?!' build report

Started by mrclean77, April 16, 2015, 02:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrclean77

Most of this is Grindy's stuff, but posting here b/c the chorus I've been wanting to do for ages, and a customer request finally pushed me to it (I was smart and got doubles of all these boards). Also, just kinda did the pics altogether.

First off, the 3-n-1:

Guy requested a multiple, saying he had been using a Zoom/something multi and felt like he spent more time chasing a useable tone and wanted something more straightforward. He asked if I could make a lo-med gain OD, chorus and reverb in one box. Ummm, sure, yeah, I think so...

So, I called it the sack lunch - very grab-n-go and will cover a good bit of stuff. He said he plays rocky-blues and sometimes bluesy rock, haha. This will be his only effect.

I have built a Timmy before, never used the Catch22 - very versatile and more tone options than I will likely ever use. Pork Barrel sounds like heaven on earth. This is at the top of my 'now build one for myself' list. Works very well with the OD and/or verb and alone is amazing as well. When I think of chorus, this is what I have in my head. Personally excited as my Hardwire Chorus is the only thing remaining on my board that's not self-built or a tuner or looper. Tenebrion was jaw-dropping. I was making a pretty big order from Rej and just kinda randomly picked that circuit b/c I like his boards. Had no idea how versatile this thing can be. Built with medium brick. I've always put off building a reverb b/c I am happy with the verb in my C30 - not gonna cut it anymore - actually think of building two, one to keep on "regular" and one that will stay set on egregious shoewgaze mode, hahaha.

The other two are De Profundis delays - already have one and am crying that I don't get to keep one of these. Just hooked up with a buddy who has a machine shop and trying to figure out his laser toy. Loving the results so far.

TL; DR - Catch22 > Pork Barrel > Tenebrion in a box alongside two De Profundis delays

rullywowr

So. Damn. Clean.  Nice laser work, excellent wiring, neat job all the way around.  It's always tough letting go of builds you are especially proud of, and you should be proud of all of these.  Superb.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

brejna

Maaan, it took me some time to figure that these things actually have wires inside.  :D Great work! (Y)

mrclean77

Hahaha - thanks. I have to give credit to the awesome products from Bean, Grindy and 1776. I almost feel guilty for "cheating" with board-mounted pots and the 3PDT boards.....almost.

I hate to see the Sack Lunch go b/c I played it from Sunday morning until yesterday when I had to hand it over...def lighting a fire under my tail to get the iron going again. Easy to lose yourself playing thru the chorus/verb combo.

GrindCustoms

Brent, those are helluva builts.... thanks for the kind words.  :o
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

micromegas

wow! that's a great first build report. So clean.... and I love hammerpainted boxes! Looking forward to see more of your builds man!
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

alanp

The forum handle is about right, I'd say...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

PhiloB

Boy, those look gooood!  What size is the enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mrclean77

Thanks again errrbody. Big boy is a 1590DD. Methinks a chorus-delay-verb should fill the next one for my own board.

cooder

Super tidy and superb builds with looks to kill. I need an laser engraver in my shed... sigh...
BigNoise Amplification

TGP39

Super clean Mr. Clean. The etch really came out great on the black box.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

selfdestroyer

These all came out fantastic. Love the multi and you picked some great circuits to put in there. Can't wait to see more of your builds in the future.

Cody

jtaormina

Mrclean77 is that water slide decals on those boxes? I like the lettering on the multi effect box. Not sure if that is water slide on that one.

mrclean77

All of those are powder coated then laser etched (I think technically it is called laser marked)...anyways, laser cuts thru powder leaving the aluminum exposed, obviously there's better contrast with the black, it is hard to photograph - not quite as eye-squinting in person