News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Steampunk -- what do you like and not like?

Started by alanp, May 27, 2019, 08:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I thought I'd start this thread to clarify my position on this sort of thing.

I like steampunk creations where the art follows the function -- a neon bulb instead of the usual LED, keyboards where the usual plastic caps are replaced by exquisitely formed wood and copper caps or something, that sort of thing. The keyboard thing has been done very, very well before.

What I don't like is where an existing, functional item (like, say, a telecaster) is taken, the functional parts are left completely alone, and a lot of additional, superfluous shit is screwed onto it, like trumpet valves that do nothing, or copper pipes that do nothing. As for the goggles on hats thing -- be honest; other than once when they bought them, have those goggles ever been used as goggles, or just as a fascinator?

I guess that, for me, it's the difference between carbon steel swords that are sharp and have good balance and weight, versus aluminium swords that can be bent by a two year old, cannot hold an edge, but do look good in fancy dress!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

It's like kitbashing and adding greeblies:  Anything added should look like it serves a functional purpose.  I'm not a fan of the steampunk style myself.  Like that game, "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura", a sci fi civil war era look does nothing for me.  Could not get into it.

somnif

Quote from: alanp on May 27, 2019, 08:00:48 AM
have those goggles ever been used as goggles, or just as a fascinator?

I was given a set of bronze(colored) steampunk goggles, and actually ended up using them rather often.

See, they had green lenses. And at the time, I was working in a plant lab, and many of our plants were grown under pink-red lights. The green tint filtered out the harsh red and made working in the grow room a hell of a lot less painful. (Could also have worn plain green polycarb glasses like most of us grunts, but I already had the things, so why not!)