News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anamorph stereo analog delay

Started by Thewintersoldier, December 18, 2023, 01:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Hello Darkness my old friend. There is nothing like the warm dark repeats of an analog delay. The way they melt into each other and obscure into the background. This is my final build of the year and it was worth the wait. When Brian teased this I was intrigued and after talking to him about it I knew I had to build it. Brian labored over this build tweaking values in different circuit blocks to make it as close to perfect as possible and this is some of his best work.

The anamorph is a mashup of ideas. To me it's the perfect analog delay and ticks so many boxes. At its core it a DM-2 with the clock and modulation of the DMM, with many refinements along the way. It has stereo outputs, the most lush organic modulation, a modified clock circuit and higher headroom. The changes made to the compander maximize headroom along with the charge pump and 15v internal voltage. So how does it sound?

Glorious.

The best of both the DM-2 and DMM is on display at all times. The higher headroom of the memory man mixed with the darker repeats of the DM-2 make for a delay that is darker but never too dark and articulate without the hiss and noise floor. A better range on the feedback control. The modulation feels organic and doesn't feel like it was tacked on like the optical options. The option for tails or regular bypass is great to have internally since most people will set and forget. The stereo spread on this is nice and full sounding. Such an inspired sound.

The build itself was very straightforward and the clock changes not only made it cheaper but calibration was very simple. Excellent layout. I went with a cream tayda enclosure and UV print. For my graphics I went with Eternity as it truly represented the sound and feel of this pedal. I used the standard Boss font with the echo/chorus/vibrato ehx moniker to portray the beautiful collision of circuits. For the demo I used the pedal in stereo straight into my interface with the outputs panned left and right while using amp sims much to my distaste, but I don't have a stereo amp rig. Build this!

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Oh man! Somehow I knew you'd pull this off before the end of the year. It does sound amazing. I need to build up that DM-3 first, but this is on the list too once I get ahold of a board. I really want to hear from someone who tries the Ibanez-style filters on their build so I don't tackle that decision point sight unseen (or sound unheard, I guess?).

gordo

Hot damn those graphics look cool and TOTALLY capture the vibe of this thing.  Nicely done!!!  I'll get a chance to hear the demo once I get home today.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jessenator

Eternity is indeed the perfect choice for this one. There are days I can't listen to most of their catalog, but The Bends is one I can get down on even when I'm down

Great work!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on December 18, 2023, 01:30:54 PM
Oh man! Somehow I knew you'd pull this off before the end of the year. It does sound amazing. I need to build up that DM-3 first, but this is on the list too once I get ahold of a board. I really want to hear from someone who tries the Ibanez-style filters on their build so I don't tackle that decision point sight unseen (or sound unheard, I guess?).
I think  with the AD values for the filtering it will be a tad brighter. This is already a little brighter than a stock DM-2.

Quote from: gordo on December 18, 2023, 04:03:50 PM
Hot damn those graphics look cool and TOTALLY capture the vibe of this thing.  Nicely done!!!  I'll get a chance to hear the demo once I get home today.

Thanks Gordy, I put some actual thought into this one lol. And just for reference the clock frequency on mine is currently set to 8.7khz

Quote from: jessenator on December 18, 2023, 04:34:41 PM
Eternity is indeed the perfect choice for this one. There are days I can't listen to most of their catalog, but The Bends is one I can get down on even when I'm down

Great work!
The bends will always have a special place in my heart ❤️
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aleph Null

Looks and sounds great! I didn't think I'd ever want to work with BBDs again...but that demo has me reconsidering.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Aleph Null on December 18, 2023, 07:09:03 PM
Looks and sounds great! I didn't think I'd ever want to work with BBDs again...but that demo has me reconsidering.
[/quote

Thank you, I think this is without a doubt the best analog delay project available. With numerous filter value options it can be tailored to what your looking for.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Oh crap that demo just nails it.  As much as I like the pristine repeats of a digital there's nothing like the fine line between delay and reverb wash that analog does so well.  I gotta get mine boxed up.  And thanks for the clock freq.  I'm socketed so I can spend a bit of time tweaking it once it's stabil in an enclosure.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

buck3t5

WOW! That is awesome!     I've got one of those in progress. Waiting till the holiday season is over to finish it.

Grats, that is fantastic, love the demo