News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

best spring DIY reverb pedal? Belton

Started by Beedoola, May 09, 2013, 07:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I'm looking to build a spring reverb pedal - like the spring chicken. I wanted to know whats the best (to your ears) belton DIY pedal out there. I had an original spring chicken and loved that thing.

alanp

GrindCustom's Tenebrion is great, flexible tonality. 1776's Rubadub is dead simple yet good sounding.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Two great options have already been mentioned. Can't go wrong with either one. But to get a spring-like sound, I think the choice in brick is more important than the circuit. Make sure you go with the "short" brick for the most spring-like sound.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Beedoola

Quote from: culturejam on May 09, 2013, 01:49:20 PM
Two great options have already been mentioned. Can't go wrong with either one. But to get a spring-like sound, I think the choice in brick is more important than the circuit. Make sure you go with the "short" brick for the most spring-like sound.

Cool, thanks for that.

Have either of you built both? I heart clips of the GrindCustom but the clip I hear was with a long brick and kind of modulated - not really what I'm looking for.

culturejam

All of the small bricks have some inherent modulation. It's just how they are set up. But the short brick has the least amount.

Beedoola

Quote from: culturejam on May 10, 2013, 01:42:41 AM
All of the small bricks have some inherent modulation. It's just how they are set up. But the short brick has the least amount.

so is the rub-a-dub the most Springy sounding? I really want to get as close to a Spring Chicken as possible

culturejam

Quote from: Beedoola on May 28, 2013, 11:58:03 PM
so is the rub-a-dub the most Springy sounding? I really want to get as close to a Spring Chicken as possible

I haven't played one, honestly. I think you could get springy sounds out of either circuit with the short brick. on the Tenebrion, just keep the feedback down low and the tone bright for maximum springyness. The Rub-a-Dub might be a better choice for its elegant simplicity if you don't need any sort of feedback / ambient / spacey tones.

chordball

When you say "small bricks" does that include both the BDTR-2 and the larger original? Or does the original have less modulation?

BraindeadAudio

I did a few tweaks to a rub a dub and got it sounding pretty close to my V4s reverb, and its got a bit of a volume boost now too, maybe 10db.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: chordball on May 29, 2013, 02:01:54 AM

When you say "small bricks" does that include both the BDTR-2 and the larger original? Or does the original have less modulation?

It defines the reverb length, when you purchase a Belton reverb module you can choose between, Short, Medium and Long, modulation is more noticeable on the medium and long module. But even with the short if you dial in the reverb mix at maximum on both RubADud or Tenebrion you will hear some modulation happening.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

This is a Rub-a-Dub with a short brick. To my ears it's the most spring-like of the two effects. The Tenbrion has much, much more dwell on tap and can do some really cool ambient verb though. I love both equally. They great effects. I'll echo what everyone else has said about the bricks also. For the least noticeable modulation, go short.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

That's a nice little demo there!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimilee

You look a lot younger in the video man!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on May 29, 2013, 06:47:06 PM
This is a Rub-a-Dub with a short brick. To my ears it's the most spring-like of the two effects. The Tenbrion has much, much more dwell on tap and can do some really cool ambient verb though. I love both equally. They great effects. I'll echo what everyone else has said about the bricks also. For the least noticeable modulation, go short.

I think one of the main diffs between the RubADub and the Tenbrion is the Dwell/feedback. The Rub does not have a feedback loop and only relies on the belton brick for the reverberation emulation which sounds awesome. The Tenbrion has a really cool feedback loop labeled Dwell and can get a faux "super huge long decay" reverb sound when the dwell is cranked. I have a few modded and 1 straight build of the Rub's and its my go to reverb. I have recently built a modded "Box of Hall" and I made it do a self oscillation on the reverb for mad crazy cave effect. I really need to do a demo of it. I'm getting that Jesus and Mary Chain sewer reverb sound from it.

All in all I would recommend the RubaDub since Josh at 1776 Effects gives you a toner transfer of it and you can etch it yourself and test it. You will need to buy a fabricated PCB of The Tenbrion from grind (and hes out of stock right now) and I'm not saying this is a bad thing by any means.. just easy to "test" the RubaDub first. They both are great builds in my book.

culturejam

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 29, 2013, 04:20:14 AM
Quote from: chordball on May 29, 2013, 02:01:54 AM

It defines the reverb length, when you purchase a Belton reverb module you can choose between, Short, Medium and Long, modulation is more noticeable on the medium and long module. But even with the short if you dial in the reverb mix at maximum on both RubADud or Tenebrion you will hear some modulation happening.

I was actually talking about the newer/smaller Belton BTDR-2. The larger/older bricks (BTDR) don't seem to have the modulation, at least not that I've been able to hear.