News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I hate......

Started by raven174us, March 03, 2014, 11:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Quote from: gordo on March 04, 2014, 03:25:37 AM
Haha, I'm still new to building pedals so I haven't got to experience all the fun that comes with it yet.

And I've been doing this since we had to carve our own transistors out of wood.

Wood transistors! TOTAL MOJO!
*starts eyeing his antique oak dresser*

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on March 04, 2014, 03:54:40 AM
I hate buying a pile of 0603 SMD parts only to realize I ordered .0603 mm not inches.... case size actually 0201... And there is no way I can use them.  I can barely see them

Yeah, hand soldering 0201's isn't the most fun.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

I hate taking a perfectly good, working circuit, and deciding I want to improve the aesthetics a bit/try a mod with little consequence/something else stoopid, and then plug the circuit back in only to find that I've managed to screw something up and now have to troubleshoot a circuit which was fine before I decided to make it "better". :-[
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 04, 2014, 05:50:42 PM
I hate taking a perfectly good, working circuit, and deciding I want to improve the aesthetics a bit/try a mod with little consequence/something else stoopid, and then plug the circuit back in only to find that I've managed to screw something up and now have to troubleshoot a circuit which was fine before I decided to make it "better". :-[

I believe they call that "Fix it 'till its broke!"  8)

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 04, 2014, 01:45:17 AM
I actually don't mind the troubleshooting! I have a ritual that I perform with EVERY build that keeps debugging down to almost nil ...

So...care to expound on the ritual?Inquiring minds want to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

GermanCdn

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 04, 2014, 06:06:24 PM

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 04, 2014, 01:45:17 AM
I actually don't mind the troubleshooting! I have a ritual that I perform with EVERY build that keeps debugging down to almost nil ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard it involves chicken bones, the blood of newt, and much incantation.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Govmnt_Lacky

Its really no secret. I just verify EVERYTHING twice during the whole process...
- Verify ALL resistor, capacitor, IC, etc... markings while preparing for build AND during the build.
- Verify ALL PCB traces are in tact and connected (sometimes with a DMM but mostly just visual)
- Double check ALL solder joints for continuity.
- ALWAYS check that every IC on the board is getting proper V+ and V- on the appropriate pins. (This has saved me multiple times)

There are other steps but, these are the big ones. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a build not work DUE TO BUILD ERROR. I did have an issue with my Mutron Flanger however, it was only because I didn't adjust the BBD bias trimmer properly. Once I did that... worked like a champ!  ;D

raven174us

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 04, 2014, 06:19:05 PM

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a build not work DUE TO BUILD ERROR.

Not bragging a little bit are we? lol  :P

Jason

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: raven174us on March 04, 2014, 07:20:11 PM
Not bragging a little bit are we? lol  :P

Not trying to...  ::)

Just learned a long time ago and after countless debug threads and assists that MOST problems come down to wrong component values, bad soldering, or miswiring, etc. All stuff that can be avoided with a little extra time for precaution  ;)

GermanCdn

Truthfully, that's the method I've gone to as well.  I measure every passive component (caps, resistors, pots) on my DMM before I install them, then that usually isolates the bad actors to either transistors or ICs, both of which I socket.

Gledison

to place an order from Tayda, paying for express delivery and have to wait 1 week for the German customs! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrgh
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

gordo

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 04, 2014, 06:09:39 PM
I heard it involves chicken bones, the blood of newt, and much incantation.....

Hoo boy do I feel stupid doing my interpretive dance naked every full moon in the front yard.  Even the dog can't look the neighbors square in the eye.  Now to find out that wasn't it...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

billstein

Maybe you could be the moderator in our new interpretive dance sub-forum.

raven174us

I'm happy now! I got all my orders in!   ;D
Jason

aballen

Quote from: pickdropper on March 04, 2014, 02:15:15 PM

Quote from: aballen on March 04, 2014, 03:54:40 AM
I hate buying a pile of 0603 SMD parts only to realize I ordered .0603 mm not inches.... case size actually 0201... And there is no way I can use them.  I can barely see them

Yeah, hand soldering 0201's isn't the most fun.

I won't even pull them out of the ribbon.  Those things are meant for ribbon/wire bonders, not human hands or eyes.