News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LaVache (the puzzle)

Started by k.rock!, August 13, 2011, 04:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

A friend of mine has a small company called Compassion Clothing. He puts out some awesome designs in t-shirts and part of the proceeds go to organizations like World Hope. I always loved his designs and I decided to use "The Puzzle" design from his shirts (of course he and I talked about it first :D). Basically says "I AM COMPASSION" but at the same time asks "AM I COMPASSION" which challenges us to be compassionate for the needy and love people :)

About the sound...I'm not feeling the love yet :(...I only had a 2N5088 for it (which I know it's supposed to be the original) but I really wanna tweak this one out. I used BAT41s and 1N914s. Also, I notice the gain knob kinda bunches up a little at the end of the sweep, for which I'm considering changing to audio taper instead of linear..i dunno...I know there's potential so I'm not giving up yet :) Not making it to my pedalboard yet though...

The LEDs are yellow and white...I know the white one looks blue, but oh well! hehe Hope u guys like it!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

Super clean guts there Kaleb. I like this one perhaps the most of all your recent work. You're getting to be quite good at this stuff!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Woah... very slick! Nice job :)

jtn191

Quote from: k.rock! on August 13, 2011, 04:17:04 AM

About the sound...I'm not feeling the love yet :(

Sorry to hear that, perhaps you could try the more gain mod? I have high hopes for mine...

COMPASSION I WA

:) liked that story

jcuempire

Gorgeous work.  I hope you are able to tweak it to your liking.

jimmybjj

thats really cool looking very clean
Pcbs no longer available

cab_eleven

Cool design, and great execution. Also, cool company.

k.rock!

Thanks for all the kind words guys! :) You guys rock!

I haven't tried any mods yet, but I definitely need to try something with it. I mean, it's supposed to sound kinda "Fenderish" which it very slightly does when gain is all the way up, but i can't get a nice warm tone out of it. Also, with the boost OFF it almost sounds like a clean boost and the shape switch in any position sound about the same to me...I can tell the difference clearly when the boost is ON and the gain is all the way up though...

I'm thinking I need to change the gain taper to audio and maybe lower the impedance? as it seems it likes to bunch up at the end...Also, a way of obtaining more gain when the boost is off and maybe decrease the gain a bit when it's ON to compensate for the added gain when OFF. And finally, I guess I'll need to play with some caps to alter the tone of it and hear a difference. Right now, it's like my pedal is SUPER transparent to the sound (a good thing in most cases) but having a lack of tone knob to shape the sound a little bit, I'm not doing much to my sound. And I'll play with other trannies as well, and see where that takes me...

Well, 'nough rambling...thanks guys! Any suggestions would be great. :)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

slimtriggers

Really nice build!

I have a similar feeling about my Lavache build-not really loving it.  I used the 5088, too, so maybe that's the problem?  I think it sounds best at lower gain levels, but it seems to cut too much low end for my taste.  For a low gain drive, I still prefer the Yellow Shark.

k.rock!

Quote from: slimtriggers on August 14, 2011, 11:25:37 PM
Really nice build!

I have a similar feeling about my Lavache build-not really loving it.  I used the 5088, too, so maybe that's the problem?  I think it sounds best at lower gain levels, but it seems to cut too much low end for my taste.  For a low gain drive, I still prefer the Yellow Shark.

Yeah, I feel the same way...although in my case I really can't seem to dial a good low gain sound since the drive bunches up and like you said, bass is really not that apparent and feels thin. I'll probably start by changing the tranny and work from there...

I'll report later with any updates, but this project will have to go in the back burner for now. I have 2 compressors to build and need to focus on those for now.
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

I can see such a huge improvement in your wiring! It is impeccably neat! Great job on the whole deal!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

My guess is this project will be more sensitive to guitar/amp choice than others. Maybe because it is a single transistor driven amplifier. My recommendation on the lower gain 2n3565 may also help warm things up a bit. There's not a lot to adjust in this circuit, really. C1 is about the only thing to increase for added bass.. You could take C3 up to 1uF, too.

gtr2

REALLY NEAT!  Some of your cleanest work  ;D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

k.rock!

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on August 15, 2011, 03:04:13 PM
I can see such a huge improvement in your wiring! It is impeccably neat! Great job on the whole deal!

Quote from: gtr2 on August 15, 2011, 04:27:17 PM
REALLY NEAT!  Some of your cleanest work  ;D

Josh

Thanks dudes! :D I get inspired by looking at y'all's work and I always feel I gotta be able to deliver! There are just so many talented people in here like u guys and I feel that I gotta bring it every time now! haha

Quote from: madbean on August 15, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
My guess is this project will be more sensitive to guitar/amp choice than others. Maybe because it is a single transistor driven amplifier. My recommendation on the lower gain 2n3565 may also help warm things up a bit. There's not a lot to adjust in this circuit, really. C1 is about the only thing to increase for added bass.. You could take C3 up to 1uF, too.

Yes, I agree on the amp/guitar combo as it seems to be a very transparent overdrive, there's really not much going on circuit wise, like you said. I'll play around with those suggestions and see where I get. I guess I had a different idea of this circuit (kinda expecting a Fenderesque tone to it, like the Boneyard produces a Plexi tone). It's a cool project nevertheless, but I do need to play with it some.

Thanks for the suggestions Brian :) My guess is they will most likely work just like all the ones you've given me before hehe :D You rock dude!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com