News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best pedal builds for bass?

Started by bscur, November 16, 2016, 06:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscur

I'm a long-time guitar player who recently picked up the bass. I'm looking for suggestions of great projects for bass. Also, are there mods to make some pedals more bass friendly? My pork barrel, naughty fish, kraken  etc. seem tuned for the guitar. What do I need to know about bass pedals? Thanks.

zombie_rock123

The very basics would be looking at the input and output capacitors for simple stuff like drives, upping them to allow the bass frequencies through. Or, tagging on a clean blend to mix your dry with the effected signal to preserve your rumble.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

jimilee

I am a bass player first and foremost. The only pedals that need a bit of modding, in my experiences over the last 5 years give or take, are overdrives. The overdrives tend to lose the bottom end, also, I have a modded klone and a Green Russian. It isn't really necessary on the Green Russian though. All the other pedals work just fine. I have a different ce-2 clone that works incredibly with bass, and all of my phasers are just fine. I should say that i put a larger input cap on my wah pedals as well.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Betty Wont

A clean blend on filters and modulators can help with bass friendliness. My bass filter is the naughty fish with an added clean blend.

GermanCdn

Fuzz - any Woolly Mammoth Variant
OD - something with a Clean Blend, like Jacob's Clean Drive
Comp - my personal favourite for bass is Dynacomp variants, but all do pretty well
Chorus - stock CE-2 builds
EQ - the 1776 Sharpshooter with the bass values
Phaser - whichever one jimilee loves most
Envelope filter - one with very few knobs.  SWAW works OK, had better success with DOD variants
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 16, 2016, 03:16:49 PM
Comp - my personal favourite for bass is Dynacomp variants, but all do pretty well
Envelope filter - one with very few knobs.  SWAW works OK, had better success with DOD variants
[/quoteRoss Phaser is my favorite. Oh, JMK has a big bass overdrive that's pretty gnarly. For practical purposes, my favorite delays are the cavedweller and the DeProfundis from GC. Honestly, my favorite compressor is a soul preacher. I've built tons of different compressor's and I keep coming back to this one.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ShredderNemo

+1 on the green russian big muff; excellent circuit and easy to build.

thesameage

Has anyone built a six shooter for bass?

jimilee

Quote from: thesameage on January 20, 2017, 05:45:01 AM

Has anyone built a six shooter for bass?
Yes, I've found it to work well. It won't make a crappy bass sound better though, so I just used some of the parts and built another bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juansolo

Lectric-FX Zirconia built to the bass spec is a magnificent compressor (note that the comp knob works backwards, and I'd not bother with the switch IMO, just wire it so the tone control is always on).

Grind's BassBalls-a-like is pretty bloody good also (Fluffgirl I think).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk