News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can someone check my wiring? Guitar Series pickups

Started by LaceSensor, August 29, 2023, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi

I am endeavouring upon a project to build a Danelectro style guitar - yes, with the plywood and masonite etc.
I have looked at the original Dano wiring and understand how it works. For those unfamiliar, its two single coil "lipstick" pickups with Volume and Tone for each. The pots are stacked dual concentric, there is one 100k/1M stacked pot for each pickup, volume (100k) and tone (1M). The tone cap for the neck pickup is 0.047 uF, and the bridge pickup tone cap is 0.01 uF. The pickup-selector toggle switch is a single pole on-off-on switch, offering the following sounds:
•   Bridge pickup alone
•   Bridge + neck pickup in series
•   Neck pickup alone

The wiring is as such: with the bridge pickup engaged, the neck pickup is shorted out with its hot and ground connected, and the bridge pickup is directly connected to the output. With the neck pickup engaged, the output of the bridge volume pot is connected to ground. In the middle position, both pickups are connected in series.

T ofhe issue is two fold - those type pots are comparatively very expensive, and Dano used custom ones with 100k/1M in the stack. So I cant actually find them and even non-custom ones are more than the rest of the materials for the guitar.
I want to keep the clean "two knob" look but simplify to a master volume and tone, while retaining the series switching which is part of the charm.

Would this make sense in that case?

I can make pedals but wiring guitars gives me a headache, especially understanding series/parallel, coil splits etc.

A spare set of eyes would be welcome! cheers

mauman

Yes, your 2-pot wiring scheme will work as you've drawn it, and will give you the same switching options as the original. 

LaceSensor

Quote from: mauman on August 29, 2023, 04:51:37 PM
Yes, your 2-pot wiring scheme will work as you've drawn it, and will give you the same switching options as the original.

thankyou. I was fairly confident but happy to have a second yes

LaceSensor

I am however now struggling to draw up how this would be wired, oddly

Does this look right?

mauman

Yep, your drawing matches your schematic.  Don't forget to tie in the string ground.

And for convenience, you could add a ground lug as a tie point somewhere in the cavity, and run leads from it to all the other places that need a ground, rather than daisy-chaining grounds. 

And if you'll be shielding the cavity with copper or aluminum tape for noise reduction, the lug can serve as the connection, just screw it down after you apply the tape.   

LaceSensor

Quote from: mauman on August 29, 2023, 09:36:24 PM
Yep, your drawing matches your schematic.  Don't forget to tie in the string ground.

And for convenience, you could add a ground lug as a tie point somewhere in the cavity, and run leads from it to all the other places that need a ground, rather than daisy-chaining grounds. 

And if you'll be shielding the cavity with copper or aluminum tape for noise reduction, the lug can serve as the connection, just screw it down after you apply the tape.   

cheers for the reminder. I omitted things like the bridge and body earth for clarity. they will be included.