News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

low volume Bunny

Started by wretched, December 05, 2013, 12:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

I am going back to my first "kinda working" build. It has low output about 1/4 of the output that come from my other mudbunny builds.

I checked the pots and the transistors and they all seem okay. I am going to use the audio prove and look for the problem. Probably a wrong part size.

However, should I just look for the first drop in the volume or are there areas that always come out lower than normal?

pryde

Low volume can be for a lot of reasons but the FIRST thing I would check is transistor orientation. What kind are in there? Are you sure they are not flipped?

Also, quadruple check all values again....and again.

If you know they are in correct then I would probe the base of each one that way you can tell at what stage (1,2,3,4) you might be losing your volume. Then you can hunt for wrong part values in/around that stage.

wretched

Thanks I checked using 2n5088 and BC550 and I tried using the BC550 in Q2 and Q4 actually sounded pretty good. Guess back to the values. The only thing I did change was the 500pf I used 470pf, but that wouldn't cause this would it?

pryde

No that pf value wont make a difference in vol.

2n5088 and BC550 transistors typically have different pinouts. Maybe put in all 2n5088's per the layout on the pcb. If no better, then good pictures and transistor voltages may be in order to post up.

jimilee

Could very well be a bad solder joint. I find it helpful to take a photo of the solder side that you would upload here BUT examine it closely first. I have found bad joints twice using this method. I have a big magnifying glass also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wretched

I will give it a shot. I am afraid I am going to lift the traces on the pots I have desoldered them so many times.

wretched

Figured it out   :-[

It was the damn patch cord. After pulling everything apart many times and probing this from input to output.

I should have know because I was having issues with my little bedroom practice amp, but I thought it was the input jack on the amp and was going to rip it apart to replace on the weekend.

Thanks for the help guys

jimilee

Dammit! It's always the cables! Happened to me too!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.