News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TSV808

Started by Aentons, January 26, 2019, 02:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Ok, what's the deal here folks? $450 seems excessive

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSV808--ibanez-tsv808-tube-screamer-overdrive-pedal

Ibanez TSV808 Tube Screamer Features:

Combines elements of an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer and a Vemuram Jan Ray

Tested by artists worldwide to achieve the best possible final sound

Retains the Tube Screamer's mid bump, but infuses it with the Jan Ray's clarity and headroom

Familiar Drive, Tone, and Level knobs supply primary sound shaping

Rear trim pots for dialing in your bass and saturation

Internal dip switches toggle between TS-style symmetrical and SD1-style asymmetrical clipping

No-compromise components, including several of Vemuram's, ensure top-shelf sound

Gold-plated true bypass switch and gold-plated jacks

Carefully adjusted power capacitor

4-layer circuit board instead of typical 2-layer design for reduced noise

Features a green-tinted brass body that shuts out static ribbon noise

Highly limited run

madbean

It definitely looks cool as far as the enclosure. A brass body is insane and that probably has some to do with the cost. But yeah, I don't think anyone here is going to pony up $450 for an 808, haha.

Aentons

My questions are:

How and why does one carfully adjust a power capacitor?

How does a 4layer board reduce noise?

What is "static ribbon noise"? and where do I get a brass enclosure.

Also, I have not seen trimpots exposed like that... Neat

Aentons

Hmm, Looks like it's bufferless. Wont that detract from some of the 808'ness

"The TSV808 employs a refined version of the original Tube Screamer circuit: Instead of four stages like the Tube Screamer (buffer -> overdrive -> tone -> buffer), the TSV808 contains three stages (overdrive -> tone -> +7dB gain boost). The end result is an ultra-smooth drive that retains the Tube Screamer's trademark mid bump; however, it opens it up with the full-range clarity of the Jan Ray."

pickdropper

Quote from: Aentons on January 26, 2019, 02:38:57 PM
My questions are:

How and why does one carfully adjust a power capacitor?

How does a 4layer board reduce noise?

What is "static ribbon noise"? and where do I get a brass enclosure.

Also, I have not seen trimpots exposed like that... Neat

4-layer boards can reduce noise by having dedicated internal power and ground planes.  They are more expensive, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jjjimi84

I am all for paying for a quality product from a good company and truly believe that if someone is putting in time and effort and paying good salaries to employees then the cost is worth it.........

That said I am personally not going to spend 450 on a single drive pedal. Especially when it is one tiny part of the signal chain. Trying to reduce noise is all well and good but play single coils with a loud amp and you are still going to get noise.

I really wonder if there is a 350 dollar sound difference between the standard and this version? Not to rag on Ibanez because after all they have given the world some great tone machines it just seems a little out of reach for most players.

pickdropper

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 26, 2019, 03:52:38 PM
I am all for paying for a quality product from a good company and truly believe that if someone is putting in time and effort and paying good salaries to employees then the cost is worth it.........

That said I am personally not going to spend 450 on a single drive pedal. Especially when it is one tiny part of the signal chain. Trying to reduce noise is all well and good but play single coils with a loud amp and you are still going to get noise.

I really wonder if there is a 350 dollar sound difference between the standard and this version? Not to rag on Ibanez because after all they have given the world some great tone machines it just seems a little out of reach for most players.

Not even if it's infused with "Jan Ray's clarity and headroom?"
Function f(x)

jjjimi84

Don't you mean Paul Cochranes headroom and clarity??

Yowza!

cooder

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 26, 2019, 11:34:51 PM

Yowza!
More like "shimmering organic transparency"... or was it vegan?
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

I bet they sell a crapload.  Damn good looking pedal.  That price would cover half of my live rig....
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

somnif

Quote from: cooder on January 27, 2019, 12:09:46 AM

Yowza!
More like "shimmering transparency"...

.....so they run it at 18v? Use a better opamp than a bargain bucket 4558?

Not seeing much worth 450$ in this shot. Sure those axial film caps are probably a couple bucks more than a normal film cap (mouser says they're about 1$ a piece) , and the mica a wee bit more than a C0G would run, a few Dale resistors for... reasons? But 450-freakin-dollars? What the hell.

I am curious what the little plug socket on the board is, admittedly.

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on January 27, 2019, 12:22:22 AM
Quote from: cooder on January 27, 2019, 12:09:46 AM

Yowza!
More like "shimmering transparency"...

.....so they run it at 18v? Use a better opamp than a bargain bucket 4558?

Not seeing much worth 450$ in this shot. Sure those axial film caps are probably a couple bucks more than a normal film cap (mouser says they're about 1$ a piece) , and the mica a wee bit more than a C0G would run, a few Dale resistors for... reasons? But 450-freakin-dollars? What the hell.

I am curious what the little plug socket on the board is, admittedly.

I'm guessing the socket is for power, especially since there is a + and - nearby.
Function f(x)

gordo

Its a unicorn port. UP2.0 I believe.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

somnif

Quote from: pickdropper on January 27, 2019, 12:51:40 AM
I'm guessing the socket is for power, especially since there is a + and - nearby.

That was my initial guess, but shots of the pedal show power is from a normal barrel connector parallel to the two trims, so I'm guessing its board mounted under the pot (next to the two chubby electrolytics). Can't find any shots of the board in its enclosure though, so no idea for certain.

Stomptown

Quote from: somnif on January 27, 2019, 12:58:29 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 27, 2019, 12:51:40 AM

That was my initial guess, but shots of the pedal show power is from a normal barrel connector parallel to the two trims, so I'm guessing its board mounted under the pot (next to the two chubby electrolytics). Can't find any shots of the board in its enclosure though, so no idea for certain.

It's probably for the battery snap.