News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy volume drop

Started by coi2001, March 07, 2011, 02:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coi2001

There is a general volume drop (dry signal and repeats) in my build (v3205). Is this expected, if not, what can I do to increase the volume to unity
thank you
Costantino

gtr2

How much would you say it drops?  Does it drop with the mix fully counterclockwise?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

coi2001

Josh: thank you for your reply. The volume level is lower than unity even with the mix pot maxed out. It's a bit like abfackeln's bad stone board without the lpb at the end, if you know what I mean. Everything else works fine. I put a trimpot instead of the feedback resistor and I can dial just the right amount of feedback. The v3205 is getting 7.8V (lowered R19 to 1K). There is what I think is an acceptable level of distortion on the repeats. The unit is pretty quiet with minimal noise. The volume drop became obvious once I compared it side by side with the Memory Man and the Echobase. I do not want to mess with it if is a well known characteristic of this pedal.
Regards
costantino

madbean

You can decrease R33 and R36 to 15-22k for some added output. This is the least likely place for it to impact the character of the pedal.

coi2001

Brian: thank you, I'll give it a shot. One more thing, VD drops by about 1V when the mix pot is maxed out (from 7.8 to 6.9 in my case), is that OK?
thanks
Costantino

madbean

That should not happen. This might explain the volume loss. Mine does not have a noticeable volume drop when engaged.

You need to find out why Vd is dropping! Vd supplies only the Clock and BBD. The compander and i/o stuff comes off the 9v rail.

coi2001

Brian: thank you, I'll check the relevant parst of the circuit before changing resistors.
Best
Costantino

coi2001

Brian, by the way, any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again
Costantino

coi2001

Found what the problem was, R37 150K instead of 150R! The audioprobe saved the day yet again!
Thanks to you all
Costantino

madbean