News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good Deal on IC's?

Started by Guitar Master, April 04, 2013, 10:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitar Master

Hello, so I was looking for caps and resistors and such, but stumbled upon this: A guy is seling 10,000 IC's for $100. Yes you heard that right. Along with resitors caps and switches (unsorted). He gave me this list also, do you guys think these are good IC's for pedal building. What is the resale value of these?

Attached is a list of the IC's

stecykmi

i browsed the list, there are a lot of digital CMOS chips which aren't used too often, lots of misc digital or special purpose chips, some power/regulator chips... very roughly, i see maybe 400-500 chips that might get used in audio, and maybe 100-150 that are "common" in guitar effects?

resale value is probably very low for most of them, chips are usually very cheap. plus why by them from "some guy" when you can spend a bit more and get them brand new and guaranteed from a dealer? there might be a few in there that are artificially valuable to specific communities (like germanium transistors are to us), but you'd have to sort through them. dunno, i wouldn't buy it and plan on making an easy buck.

jubal81

Very little of that is useful in analog stomp boxes. A lot of them are logic chips, looks like. You're far better off building up a stock from Tayda or Mouser. Avnet has really good prices on Opamps.

Here's a few common chips to keep on your bench:
TL072 (dual)
TL074 (quad)

These are cheap and are pretty much the default.

NE5534 (single)
NE5532 (dual)
OP275 (dual) - This is available at Tayda now and is my personal favorite.

LM13700 (dual voltage-controlled opamp)
TC1044 & LT1054 (charge pumps)

Some of the 'older' opamps that you see in older schematics:

If you spend $40-$50 stocking these up, you'll be set for a great deal of pedal builds.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

yeah, for $100 you could get a LOT of more useful chips, much more than 100-150. Some useful chips are 5 for $1 at Tayda...

I'd spend my 100 at tayda and be done. But you're asking about resale. Hate to say it, but the only way to know for sure is to look up each and every one on the list. I might try looking for the ones he's got lots of, but it looks like the guy is trying to get rid of a bunch of odd junk and make a few bucks off someone. It's not a good deal, it's a space taker.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Guitar Master

Thanks for the replies! I have very little knowledge when it comes to IC's and how to subsitute them for the ones on the B.O.M. for pedals. I think i'll pass on the IC's, but he also has a few thousand resistors he said :D

jkokura

If the resistors are in useable values (1K-1M), over 2/3 a cent a piece for %1 and 1/2 a cent a piece for %5. higher than that and you'll be over paying.

1000 %1 = $6.67
1000 %5 = $5.00

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

apexjr

If you do buy the deal I would be interested in the 4017 CMOS Chips

Steve @ Apex JR