News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Les Lius.

Started by JakeFuzz, February 11, 2011, 10:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

I know I just posted a request but I was playing around with my Les Lius clone today and let me say that this thing is awesome. This is one of my top five favorite overdrives and everyone I've let play it says they want one. It is astonishingly simple; just a single transistor and a few diode choices. I made mine on perf board but you could probably make it on a road rage sized PCB. Very tweed like bottom end and it gets creamy grit when you switch in the second stage.

Here is my horrible attempt at a video. The sound quality doesn't do it justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBFnpM4VdQ

madbean

Okay not the best sound quality, but you are ripping it to shreds man....nice axing.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: madbean on February 11, 2011, 10:57:25 PM
Okay not the best sound quality, but you are ripping it to shreds man....nice axing.

Thanks! I need a microphone with better bass response, the low end is everything with this pedal. So cool sounding, I could play with just this all day!

gtr2

I've never hear of this one.  The demo you did was cool and I looked at some others.  I really like this one!  Did you get the schematic at fsb?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JakeFuzz

Quote from: gtr2 on February 12, 2011, 12:25:04 AM
I've never hear of this one.  The demo you did was cool and I looked at some others.  I really like this one!  Did you get the schematic at fsb?

Yep. I used the one with manual switching instead of the FET switching. I used 1n914 and 1n5818 diodes. I would really like to have socketed the diode positions and tested some bat41's or 1n34a's. Very simple to build, I highly recommend it.

JakeFuzz

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6665&hilit=les+lius&start=20

A pcb layout I made a while ago for this. Use at your own risk this is an unverified layout, check with the schematic before making anything. (and I usually don't put the cap polarities in correctly  ;D)

rowland1

I agree that its a great circuit. I built one on strip board with a layout from FSB. Real easy build and classic sound.

madbean

I think this with maybe a few modifications here and there. I'll tinker around with it.

madbean

So you did not do the FET switching....it looks like some folks had trouble with that. How did you do the boost portion on your clone, then?

JakeFuzz

I used a dpdt footswitch which either lifts or grounds the bottom of that resistor/pot/e-cap circuit on the emitter of the BJT. The other lugs on the switch turn on the boost stage indicator LED.

madbean

Gotcha. Thanks. I'll see about getting it built up once I've got some more orders out.

JakeFuzz

Awesome! Be prepared for a big volume drop in 5E3 mode; tchula mode is my favorite. It is very easy to make it look like the original.

smalltownsongs

"watched"

Although I'm new at the building aspect, I'm ridiculously interested in building one of these!

madbean

This one will happen. I've already finished the PCB....but it will be several days before I can build and verify it. If it works out, I'll make some boards available.

smalltownsongs

ROCK.ON.
Count me IN!

Thanks!!!!!