News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mpf102 subs

Started by jimilee, March 28, 2014, 04:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I only have 1 mpf102 and I need one more for a wah, whats a good substitution short of pulling it out of another pedal while I order more?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

What's it being used for?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2014, 05:07:40 PM

Quote from: midwayfair on March 28, 2014, 05:06:58 PM
Wah pedal

That's a type of effect, not a specific circuit or function. What's it being used for in the wah pedal? Are you building the Weener and using it for Q3?

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on March 28, 2014, 05:10:42 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2014, 05:07:40 PM

Quote from: midwayfair on March 28, 2014, 05:06:58 PM
Wah pedal

That's a type of effect, not a specific circuit or function. What's it being used for in the wah pedal? Are you building the Weener and using it for Q3?
Sorry Jon it's the MoWah fron GPCB the mpf102s act as buffers in this particular application.

midwayfair

Come on, Jimi, post a schematic. Don't make us google for it, or worse need to sign in to Barry's frigging site to view their build documents. ::) http://www.guitarpcb.com/PDF%20Files/MoWah%20v3.pdf

Anyway, when you're considering a FET for a buffer, you're interested in the |Vp|; this is the input voltage before the FET distorts.
2N5458 and 2N3819 both have high Vp. 2N5952 is probably the next best bet.

2N5457 is "adequate," and I'm willing to bet you have a couple in your parts bin, but it's only 1.5V of headroom. Put it in Q1 and use the MPF102 you have for the output buffer if you don't want to order some replacements.

jimilee

Thanks jon, next time I will post  the schematic. Sorry about the hassle sir, I should know better. I'm ordering more, I was just looking for something in the meantime.

midwayfair

Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2014, 06:12:15 PM
I'm ordering more, I was just looking for something in the meantime.

In that case, you can use any FET. It doesn't matter if it's just a buffer, but realize that stuff used in overdrives will distort if you push them.