News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Where to buy MOJO parts?

Started by claytushaywood, November 03, 2013, 11:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

Let me preface this by saying this is not a discussion on the merits of mojo parts!  I know the debate, and I must say I just am looking to try it out.  and for the record I've done testing on just a simple MXR dist + and I have been able to tell a noticable difference between using carbon comps and ceramics versus metal film type components.  But for the sake of it all lets just say I like the way they look with they're cut color bands!

Anyone know a good place to buy the low voltage axial caps (Mkp? and the blue BC's) that DAM uses?  1/4 carbon comps and polystyrenes too?  Also, it looks like some DAM stuff uses axial tantalums... anyone got any info? 

davent

Blue axial caps can be had at the big suppliers like Mouser and Digikey, i think they're are now sold under the Vishay banner.

Digikey and Mouser also have CC resistors.

Just radios has loads of carbon comp resistors and polystyrene caps. Also stock axial caps in the smaller values but not of mojofied lineage.

caps- http://www.justradios.com/orderform.html

resistors- http://www.justradios.com/resorderform.html
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

avidgrim

Mojotone has carbon comp resistors.

+1 mouser, just a little difficult to figure it all out.

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

PimpMyTone

you can often find vintage stuff in local electronic surplus stores .
Simon

jimilee

Quote from: avidgrim on November 04, 2013, 01:49:23 AM

if you can build an effects pedal, you can reverse engineer a mouser bom. Search out the mouser bom thread, grab a bom and dissect it. It's not hard just intimidating.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: jimilee on November 04, 2013, 03:55:48 AM

Quote from: avidgrim on November 04, 2013, 01:49:23 AM

if you can build an effects pedal, you can reverse engineer a mouser bom. Search out the mouser bom thread, grab a bom and dissect it. It's not hard just intimidating.

On Mouser home page under Product Finder hover over Passive Components, from the drop down menu that emerges click Resistors, next menu pick Carbon Composition from Types of Resistors and you're there. It's gotten much easier to navigate.

http://ca.mouser.com/
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

claytushaywood

sorry I kind of forgot about this thread... unfortunately I dont have a local electronics store.  Louisville, KY doesnt have anything of the sort- sucks.  I used to live in colorado and there were several between boulder and denver.

mouser just seems so expensive, and I really dont understand all the price variations... and I'm not sure what I'm even ordering a lot of the time.

like this search
http://www.mouser.com/Vishay/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/_/N-75hqt?P=1z0zls5Z1z0wrjcZ1z0z819

and the price variations- am i the only that doesnt get this or does it drive other people nuts too?

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

croquet hoop

;D

Mouser is not that w bad when you figure it out, but one small spec variation (different voltage rating for instance) = new reference = different price. Sometimes all it takes to have a new reference is just a different packaging (bulk/reel).

culturejam

Mouser has carbon comps, axial film caps, and the shiny blue axial electrolytics. So does Newark. So does Allied

The trick to Mouser (or any middle-tier reseller) is that you have to know details about the size and operating specs (like wattage or voltage rating) of the parts you want. The rest of the world doesn't understand "I need mojo resistors that will fit most DIY pedal projects". What they understand is "I need carbon composition 1/4-watt, 10% tolerance resistors" or "5mm pitch, 63v, 5% tolerance, radial leaded, polyester metallized film capacitors".
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects