News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mega Thump Delay - Neptune/Shootthemoon/Taptempo

Started by MattOcaster, January 11, 2013, 04:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattOcaster

What up guys,

Finally finished with this monster! Came together surprisingly without any major problems. :)

Had the Neptune and STM boards assembled for ages but wanted to make full use of the Neptunes ldr - can be activated with the STM lfo or the envelope circuit.  

Just need to sort out the Envelope section and decide what to do with the space for the 2 additional knobs.
Still playing with the Envelope section on breadboard. I had originally intended to make the extra 2 knobs a low and high pass filter for the delay signal.

I also need to add a buffer for the effects loop - its not playing too nicely with some effects.

Kind regards,
Matt.
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

DutchMF

Damn, dude! That is one serious delay pedal!!!! That must have taken a lot of preparation, planning, experimentation, trial and error, sweat and, last but not least, cursing..... Wow!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Stomptown

Wow Matt! This is beautiful. I love the artwork.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Sweet! I look forward to the update with the completed envelope section.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

This is really amazing. Did you consider a control for the envelope circuit as one of the extra knobs? Not sure if it'll work without some modification, but if you used the sense pot arrangement from my Blue Warbler, it would give you a way to have modulation just on the attack (fully CW) or decay of notes (in the middle), as well as an envelope "kill" (when fully CCW). Then the last control could be a tone knob for the repeats (10K pot in series R13 works, but you might need to drop R13 a little). I'd love to know how you planned on impementing a low-pass control for the repeats, that sounds like a neat idea.

lincolnic

If there was ever a thread that begs for a demo...this is it.

pickdropper

That's quite a build.

I like the graphic theme you've developed for your pedals.  I can envision an entire pedal board with it.  It WILL look great.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

spaceboss

Quote from: pickdropper on January 12, 2013, 05:20:20 AM
That's quite a build.

I like the graphic theme you've developed for your pedals.  I can envision an entire pedal board with it.  It WILL look great.  :-)

I agree, the graphic theme is excellent. The color really pops in a galaxy looking sort of way--if that makes sense.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

MattOcaster

Thanks for all the kind words guys!
If it wasn't for the members here (like Culturejam and JMK), it would not have been possible.

In retrospect I think I posted this a bit prematurely - even though it works for the most part.
I've still got to:

1. Finalise the envelope circuit - a knob assigned to control the sensitivity.
Thanks for the advice Jon! I haven't looked at the Blue Warbler yet. I've been breadboarding a LM386 based circuit as used in the Clari (not). Mr Madbean posted a similar scheme on circuit workshop if anyone's interested.

2. Add a buffer to the effects loop. I thought I could get away without one but definitely not. Some effects simply will not work?! Ie I'll put a tremolo in the loop - works fine, put a different pedal in - no sound at all!

3. Add a tone control - thanks for the suggestion Jon! Or perhaps add an capacitor blend control to adjust the darkness of the repeats. The Neptune is voiced quite dark.

4. Possibly change the Feedback control to a blend control. Always preferred them to just "Delay volume level". But that's definitely a Low priority task.

I'll post any further developments in a separate thread, as it's this pedal is half "WIP", half "Build Report".
Again, thanks to Culturejam for the Neptune and STM boards and JMK for the TapTempo board!
This build would have happened 6 months earlier if a Taptempo board was available - so thanks to JMK for providing.

Matt.
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

raulduke

'Tis a beauty mate!

Love the look of all your builds.

nzCdog