News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point Micro sound compared to Carbon Copy

Started by mcallisterra, December 15, 2014, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

I was looking at doing the Zero Point Micro build at some point, and was just curious as to whether there is much of a difference in sound to the MXR Carbon Copy, which is currently the only delay I own (and love).

I think I saw somewhere that the Carbon Copy doesn't feature the PT2399, so I'm guessing it might sound a little different?

Thanks!

culturejam

The Carbon Copy is a BBD-based analog delay. The Zero Point is PT2399 and digital. So they should have a different sound.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mcallisterra

So does the ZPM lack that kind of warmth to the repeats that the Carbon Copy gets?

mremic01

Quote from: culturejam on December 15, 2014, 09:48:06 PM
The Carbon Copy is a BBD-based analog delay. The Zero Point is PT2399 and digital. So they should have a different sound.

I won two Carbon Copies and probably a dozen Robote's stuffed into various multiFX units. In practice, I've found the Carbon Copy to comparable to the Rebote 2.5. The Rebote is a bit dirtier on the repeats, but you'd never notice it in a band mix.

madbean

Personally I cannot compare the two never having played a CC. But, the ZPM is analog-modeled, so the repeats are certainly warmer than a straight digital delay. And, by warm we mean filtered. Analog delays are filtered to mask clock noise and PT2399 delays are filtered to mask both "digital artifact" and the relatively low frequency range it operates at. So, while the two will never sound identical they are at least more similar than say a straight up digital delay that does not attempt to mimic any kind of analog delay sound.

That said, any PT2399 delay is going to have diminishing returns once it is pushed past the limits that it is supposed to operate (which is EVERY pt2399 delay design out there). A single PT2399 has an ideal delay range of a few millisec up to around 300. It's actually pretty similar to an analog delay in that regard in that a single MN3005 (or v3205 or two BL3208) will give you serviceable delay up to about 350ms and no more. But, we all tend to push that range up to 600ms because a lot of the time you can still get pretty good sounding delay out of it if you have enough filtering.

Anyway, none of this really answers your question but maybe it will help to understand the differences between the two a bit better.

mcallisterra

Thanks! Very informative. I might just have to give it a go to hear for myself :)

Ubertech_s

I Just finished the zero point micro and it is lush

a great analogue emulation and not digital sounding. Good delay times though I am usually 1/4 note or less in my style. The Filter is usefully very powerful, from unfiltered to very dark (my favourite), on the brightest setting there is a touch of degredation noise to the distant repeats as associated with this chip but I really like that and it is part of this type of delay; it is a signature and weldone rather than detrimental. It will self oscillate if you push it and the delay time alters the pitch in a very nice tape way.

The weakness is the Modulation is not as extreme on extreme settings as I would like, however it is definately there and sweet; just always subtle - maybe there is a mod to mod the mod?

I took my time over the build as there is a high parts count and the board is quite tight, but it lit up first time and Ive loved it ever since. Definately give it a go if you like analogue warm delays in the vein of Electroharmonix, but it is definately not a clear reapeating Boss DD3 if that your thang.
Yellowshark... Zero Point Mini...Autobahn...getting better all the time

mcallisterra

Quote from: Ubertech_s on January 25, 2015, 05:36:39 PM
I Just finished the zero point micro and it is lush

a great analogue emulation and not digital sounding. Good delay times though I am usually 1/4 note or less in my style. The Filter is usefully very powerful, from unfiltered to very dark (my favourite), on the brightest setting there is a touch of degredation noise to the distant repeats as associated with this chip but I really like that and it is part of this type of delay; it is a signature and weldone rather than detrimental. It will self oscillate if you push it and the delay time alters the pitch in a very nice tape way.

The weakness is the Modulation is not as extreme on extreme settings as I would like, however it is definately there and sweet; just always subtle - maybe there is a mod to mod the mod?

I took my time over the build as there is a high parts count and the board is quite tight, but it lit up first time and Ive loved it ever since. Definately give it a go if you like analogue warm delays in the vein of Electroharmonix, but it is definately not a clear reapeating Boss DD3 if that your thang.

Great, thanks! It sounds awesome. I'm definitely not a crystal-clear repeats kind of guy because I feel they clutter up what you're currently playing.

This one is definitely on my to-build list, however I just discovered the amazing weirdness of the DoomButter and I HAVE to give that a go first!