News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Writing an essay about the Fuzz Factory - New ideas and help wanted.

Started by Jurassic, January 13, 2013, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jurassic

Hi!

I'm studying musicology in Helsinki University and I'm writing an essay/analysis about the Zvex Fuzz Factory. I have collected some basic information about the circuit from the web, but I know there are a lot of talented people in here that know effects and electronics way better than I do.

So, I'm asking some ideas and tips from you people. Are there some clever tricks on the Fuzz Factory design that I should  definitely mention? What aspects/parts of the circuit should be inspected in more detail? Any ideas? I will of course mention all sources of information (including this topic) in my writing, so I will not present your knowledge as my "own".

Thanks!

-Juri

DutchMF

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jeffaroo

yep, what paul said.   ^
and if you got to much to wright about, he also did a
fuzz jr. hell, just do a paper on Beavis (hes kind of a mad scientist)
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

neiloler

Kaipaan Helsinkia ja Suomia! Toivon sulle onnea ja sisua siihen yliopistohommaan! :)
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

DutchMF

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 13, 2013, 06:28:51 PM
yep, what paul said.   ^
and if you got to much to wright about, he also did a
fuzz jr. hell, just do a paper on Beavis (hes kind of a mad scientist)

Check the date on the bottom of the article, Jeff..... But you're right, Beavis rules!

culturejam

What's remarkable about the Fuzz Factory is that it has sold thousands of units, even though quite a few of the possible control settings render it unusable.  :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jeffaroo

lol, we all sit around and bitch and moan about what 2 caps or diodes to use. what i like about Beavis is he grabs his balls, hits a power chord, slams a beer and throws every idea hes got at it. makes you think outside the box at builds. hes inspired a BIG project im working on now. even brian will be proud when this bastard is done ! talk dirty to your pedals, make them earn your respect !

Jurassic

Quote from: neiloler on January 13, 2013, 08:44:30 PM
Kaipaan Helsinkia ja Suomia! Toivon sulle onnea ja sisua siihen yliopistohommaan! :)
Kiitos! Eiköhän tämä kouluhomma ihan hyvin hoidu! :)

Anyway, I found some background information from ZVex forum and the circuit it self looks pretty basic.. I gotta start writing.

DutchMF

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 14, 2013, 06:56:42 AM
talk dirty to your pedals, make them earn your respect !

You got it right there Jeff! Teach them some manners, make 'm work for you! Show 'm who's boss! Doesn't work with my lovely wife, but at least I can boss my pedals around....  ;)

Paul

DuctTapeRiot

Am I crazy but is not the Fuzz Factory just 5 Sho stages slammed together with random knobs in random places??

jkokura

Yes, you are crazy. There are only 3 transistors.

It's actually a modded Fuzz Face really.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jeffaroo

dont you just love it when somebody creates a unique sound then marks it up 500%
the ole fishing pole tied to a dog bone trick
how bad do you want it ?