News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How about a Hotcake?

Started by Geosh, January 10, 2012, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geosh

Just built a Hotcake clone and thought it would be a cool circuit to add. Plus, there are several version that might be able to be combined into a switchable variant maybe?  :P

Just an idea...

jkokura

I'm in the middle of a hotcake build, just to see what the fuss is about. I might be interested in doing a modded version.

What's interesting is to see the two different versions of them from Crowther. I wonder why the circuit got changed.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

LaceSensor

anyone build harald sabro's mojo cake?
I did, and it performs oddly, but he wont answer me on it.

:/

I did a nice vero (Torchy) a while back and it sounded awesome.
Never got round to making another for myself (this one was for the band Bombay Bicycle Club)

madbean

I've actually considered this several times but never got around to it. Actually, I've never built one at all!

Geosh

I just finished one using Torchy's vero layout and it is pretty nice. I have a slight issue with a not so smooth decay with the signal gets low, but other than that it is pretty killer. Also, I don't have a real one to compare too so I am not sure that my problem isn't inherent to the circuit anyway. It isn't that big of a deal though, as I really like mine.

I was surprised too that there are several significant variations of the same pedal, but then ProCo has all the variations on the RAT too, so I guess it isn't all that strange. 

sgmezei

jtn191

cjkbug

they have been in production since the late '70s so a few changes are to be expected I suppose. I built soulsonics layout of it and have had a few over the years. I always found it a touch dark sounding unless the presence control was dimed. I have a clone in the build reports section from a while back. I think crowther's "prunes and custard" fuzz is a really unique effect that would make the basis of a interesting project.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

jimmybjj

Here is the layout that i made sometime back using the schematic that culturejam posted in the link above.  Layout accommodates a 1590b and board mounted pots.

Click here for layout

Verified

Pcbs no longer available

thetrend77

So I found 2 Hotcake vero layouts and I'm not sure which to use. Their parts lists are different and I'm not sure which is correct. Also, they both call for zener diodes and according to jimmybjj's layout, it's a 1n4001, so more confusion lol

Here are the 2 layouts I have:

Thoughts?

LaceSensor

The second one works, Ive built it.
I used a 9v zener, it was fine.

thetrend77

Oh good, b/c I've already started on that one haha. Also good to hear that a 9v zener works b/c I can't find that 8.7v one anywhere and I have one more 9.1v left over from when I ordered parts for a SHO lol

Thanks!

jimmybjj

I just used culturejams schematic on FSB. I don't think it matters much, either diode will be used for protection. The Zener will just limit voltage to its value.

As for part difference, there are a couple different versions of the hotcake, I'm not sure of the differences. I believe the one in my layout is pre  02 or 03
Pcbs no longer available