Win a Whisker Biscuit PCB or some diodes. Fill this box: two knobs and a switch.

Started by midwayfair, August 08, 2012, 05:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I've got a black 1290NS drilled for two knobs and a toggle switch. The jacks are drilled at half way, so the board can't be excessively large. (Though in my case, pretty much anything that requires a 1590B is "excessively large.")

What circuit should I put in this? Your answer can be pretty much any sort of effect, but the stipulation is that it can't be such a small circuit or PCB that I can get it in a 1590A instead. And just to make this extra challenging, I'm not prejudiced against "yet more dirt pedals," and you can drop an external control or two to get down to two knobs or add one to get up to two.

My favorite answer gets their choice of either (a) a free whisker biscuit PCB from the ones I got from CultureJam a couple months ago. They're licensed so you can do whatever you like with the resulting pedal, including selling it for some phat prophits. (Ahem:  ::) I need an emoticon that does the hand thing.) Or (b) 5 pairs of diodes of their choice from my stash (check my thread for some inspiration: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5399.0).

Entries close at midnight on August 9th.

(Edits for spelling and to add deadline.)

culturejam

I'm not in the running for any prizes, but this is my suggestion:

Do up a STM tremolo: drop the Wave pot and change it to a sine/square toggle, and make the Gain control a trimmer.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Sigesmundninja

I would make a little veroboard-slambox with a optional mastervolume controlled by the toggle-switch!

stecykmi

engineer's thumb compressor with a treble boost mod on the switch. might be a bit of a tight fit to be honest since the designer drills his jacks lower.

i have been meaning to make one of these myself actually.

midwayfair

Quote from: stecykmi on August 08, 2012, 07:07:53 PM
engineer's thumb compressor with a treble boost mod on the switch. might be a bit of a tight fit to be honest since the designer drills his jacks lower.

I made one -- you can see how big it was on perf even with some contortions and several jumpers: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5103.0. I've been working on a new perf layout for it, but I think the circuit is just physically too many connections points to get much smaller (heck, MerlinB's etch wasn't much smaller than my off-the-cuff perf). Feel free to suggest another entry in case this one proves impossible, especially because you picked one of my favorite pedals. :)

pryde

OK. You could do the Devi Ever Krackle Fuzz/Disaster Fuzz on vero. 2 knobs, 1 toggle. Perfect. I even have a verified layout for it if needed.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnC9B7tQpoU

Vallhagen

Red Llama (two pots) with a buffer (switch)?

... i have just etched a Llama board... its really the first OD/Dist/Fuzz that makes my crappy small practising amp sound good. Nice and simple build. But you maybe have one allready?

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

GermanCdn

My vote would be for a vero of an Ecstacy circoit with the bass and treble as trim pots.  Would be a sweet little pedal.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

icecycle66

Two one-knob fuzz circuits.
One cascading into the other.

The switch can be used to choosed between one circuit, the other circuit, or both at the same time.

stecykmi

Quote from: midwayfair on August 08, 2012, 07:21:07 PM
Quote from: stecykmi on August 08, 2012, 07:07:53 PM

I made one -- you can see how big it was on perf even with some contortions and several jumpers: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5103.0. I've been working on a new perf layout for it, but I think the circuit is just physically too many connections points to get much smaller (heck, MerlinB's etch wasn't much smaller than my off-the-cuff perf). Feel free to suggest another entry in case this one proves impossible, especially because you picked one of my favorite pedals. :)

shucks...

well, next suggestion is the dr quack, which is an improved q-tron envelope filter clone. fairly low parts count, too.

midwayfair

Some good suggestions. Anyone else want to make an entry? Seven hours left. :)

slimtriggers

How about a clone of the MI Audio Boost and Buff with a toggle for buffered/true bypass?  The actual pedal looks kinda like one of your hand-painted designs, anyway 8) 

midwayfair

Thanks for playing, folks! Lots of fun suggestions here, and some things I might end up building regardless. But stecykmi happened to pick a circuit, the Dr. Quack, that was not only on my build list already but fills a gap in some sounds I want/need after picking a pedal that might have won if it fit. And since I'm also building a mini Nurse Quacky, it'll be fun to compare them. stecykmi, I'm PMing you now about your prize. :)

I won't hold anyone to the "can't fit in a 1590A" stipulation. It would have excluded every extry except the dual one-knob fuzz and Engineer's Thumb. You'd be surprised what you can fit in there. :)

stecykmi