News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powering a Patsyface

Started by camsna, December 20, 2010, 07:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

Can it be as simple as installing a DC jack with + and - swapped? Or do I need to rely on a RoadRage?

Thanks!

jkokura

It depends. You have to think past the jack and understand the power supply. What kind of power supply will you be using?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

camsna

Darn. I thought you might say I'd have to know stuff...

I'm using a Pedal Power 2 Plus.

jkokura

First off, if you're using a pedal that needs -9V power, you need a special cable. Do you have the right kind of cord? If not, then you should look at using the Road Rage to convert the pedal. If you do, then we can move on from there.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

madbean

If using a PP2, you should be able to use negative and positive supplies together since each DC output is isolated. They sell a cable just for that, but really it's just that pos/neg are flipped internally on one of the plugs. So, if you have the materials you could make your own, or you could spend a couple bucks on theirs.

Batteries will last quite a while in a typical fuzz if you wire it to disconnect when the input is left unplugged. You can also use a pot with an SPST switch on it (these turn on and off by either pulling the shaft up or by turning it fully counter-clockwise) to disconnect the battery so you can leave it plugged into your pedal board.

The Road Rage is a good alternative, but it does introduce added cost. But, any of these solutions...the special cable, the pot/switch or the RR, will be pretty close to each other in terms of cost.

camsna

Quote from: madbean on December 22, 2010, 05:51:00 PM
If using a PP2, you should be able to use negative and positive supplies together since each DC output is isolated. They sell a cable just for that, but really it's just that pos/neg are flipped internally on one of the plugs. So, if you have the materials you could make your own, or you could spend a couple bucks on theirs.

Batteries will last quite a while in a typical fuzz if you wire it to disconnect when the input is left unplugged. You can also use a pot with an SPST switch on it (these turn on and off by either pulling the shaft up or by turning it fully counter-clockwise) to disconnect the battery so you can leave it plugged into your pedal board.

The Road Rage is a good alternative, but it does introduce added cost. But, any of these solutions...the special cable, the pot/switch or the RR, will be pretty close to each other in terms of cost.

Thanks! Yes, I have the requisite cable and plugs to make power cables. What I'd like to accomplish is this:
to be able to power the Patsy face by battery (if I'm ever without a power supply), or by Pedal Power 2.

It seems like the reverse-polarity cable should do it. But, I wonder if I can  make the same swap internally (on the DC jack) to accomplish the same thing. That way, I don't risk death and destruction if I use a normal-polarity cable.

What do you think?

jkokura

There's a wiring diagram over at ggg I used. Its the one that's labeled as the one for fulltone pedals I think. I'll go look for it and see if I can link it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

camsna