News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drill Press

Started by playpunk, January 29, 2015, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

Hello folks. I have been thinking about buying a small drill press, and wondered if anyone here had used any of the small cheap "benchtop" presses. I don't have much room, so I'm looking for the smallest practical press for drilling enclosures and pcb's
"my legend grows" - playpunk

mandrewbot3k

I have an old 1930's/40's craftsman drill press, so I can't really comment too much on the small ones. But have you tried using a drill guide? Something like these....
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=drill+guide

Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

playpunk

This is what I'm looking at: http://amzn.com/B00HQONFVE

for $50 more... might be enough but I can't tell.

icecycle66

I have the Skil brand version of the Wen drill you are looking at.
I cuts trhough enclosures fine, even with step bits.

I haven't tried drillin PCB holes with it.

selfdestroyer

This is the one I use and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Bench-Drill-Press-Laser/dp/B005D1QJ92/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1422551985&sr=1-1&keywords=craftsman+table+top+drill+press

I have had it about 2 years and use it solely for enclosures and PCBs. I would definitely buy another one if this one crapped out at this point.

Cody

mandrewbot3k

For small stuff, like pcbs, i like to use my dremel with the dremel press like this...

I attached a picture of my craftsman. not sure if itll work.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

rumbletone

I use a dremel 'workstation ' press. Not the most solid piece of gear, but it works for drilling PCBs and for pilot holes for enclosures.

playpunk

I don't have a dremel.... so I don't think the Dremel press makes much sense. I got a $25 gift card for doing a survey to Amazon, so I'm thinking about how much closet space I want to dedicate to a drill press. That's right, I might put a drill press in my closet.

icecycle66

Uh, okay.

Make sure you line that bad boy with trash bags. 
Shavings get everywhere.

playpunk

It's a workbench in a closet, so not that bad. The shavings issue might get me in trouble, though.

bela1961

Speaking from personal experience, get a small shop Vac and police your work space so it always looks reasonably tidy. It keeps the non-believer's at bay.

playpunk

I have a door I can shut.... That helps a bit.

davent

I've a small bench top similar to the ones posted, made in China branded King for sale in Canada, indispensible and used for far more then pedal building, don't know why i waited so long. I don't like it for drilling PCB's, have setup with a Dremel for that.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

One thing that separates the better presses from the cheaper ones is the quality of the quill. Good ones will have less runout, and therefore will drill cleaner, rounder, more accurate holes. Probably not critical for pedal building. I'm currently using a Ryobi cordless hand drill. It's got an annoying amount of wobble but I use it anyway. It does make it tough to get LED bezels to snap in nice and tight. I used to own a nice Jet 14" drill press and it ran very true. Wish I still had it.