News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Design Basics

Started by skypn, May 02, 2024, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

Ok, I'm getting kinda close to figuring out parts layout.
While studying a few of Madbeans layouts, I have noticed the clustering of resistors, diodes, even caps. Are these clusters designed solely by trial and error, or are they laid out by principles that one can learn, and even follow, to better their layouts.
If the later proves to be the case, would one please point me to the proper reference materials. If the former proves to be the case, cross you fingers 8)
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

jessenator

I can't speak for Brian :) and I'm certainly no expert.

I've found it to be a balancing act between signal path and my own aesthetic preference. My first pass is usually like a rough draft of a writing assignment: it looks like $#!@, but it's something. Then you can toy with placement, where are your airwires going. Brian illustrates it best in his PCB layout guide: if your airwires cross in all manner of ways, you're gonna have a bad time.

But even when it's crap, I find that routing as much as I can in one layer is the best way to "see" where you can more optimally place things. Again, not an expert, just mucking about mostly

This was the first super-fuzz I committed to fab: more spaghetti than a cheap italian restaurant, lots of vias, scattershot part placement, and it really doesn't fit into a 1590B unless it's one and done (i.e. poorly)

After banging my head against the screen a lot, I eventually got this one. Not perfect; the traces are still a bit spaghetti, but it looked nice on the surface at least.

Brian also did a timelapse of schematic and board layout a bit ago, which is cool:

storyboardist

If I can toot my own horn for a sec, here's an Eagle tutorial I did a few years back that might be helpful.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGCa8FTMTY-kNAt2E9UarHVlrpjTFkNGu&si=6Pa4XarE8ygW4uxi
Guy behind Effects Layouts

skypn

Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake