News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nom Nom pedal transistors?

Started by cdevor88, February 20, 2016, 03:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdevor88

Just realized I ordered a matched set of 4 2n5952 instead of the prescribed 2n5457's.  Will they still work or am I screwed and need to order the right ones?

jimilee

You'll be ok,  but the pin out is backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

cdevor88

Awesome thanks guys.  I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and these are my first pedal builds so I'm worrying and over thinking everything.  Any tips for a first timer?

kgull

Keep overthinking everything, stop worrying.

Most electronics stuff you can play pretty fast and loose with the values, as long as you get in the ballpark. Keep learning and asking yourself "This works? Why does this work?". Don't worry too much about screwing up stuff though, this is a pretty cheap hobby to screw up in, nothings going to blow up (probably) and if you get stuck there are a bunch of awesome communities out there to help you get unstuck (this one just happens to be the best :P).

287m

Quote from: kgull on February 20, 2016, 05:22:24 PM
Keep overthinking everything, stop worrying.

Most electronics stuff you can play pretty fast and loose with the values, as long as you get in the ballpark. Keep learning and asking yourself "This works? Why does this work?". Don't worry too much about screwing up stuff though, this is a pretty cheap hobby to screw up in, nothings going to blow up (probably) and if you get stuck there are a bunch of awesome communities out there to help you get unstuck (this one just happens to be the best :P).

+1

perfectionist kill creativity

if you see first build of pedal builder
the clean guts, good look inner and outer, precision, part choice
is rare man!

just do it, like your first kiss, s3x and jamming  ;)

cdevor88

Thanks again.  I'm used to harsh communities,  I like this one and think I will stay here. 8)

cdevor88

OK guys,  a few more silly questions. 
#1 the pin out is backwards.  Could you elaborate on that a little bit?

2. How does the trimpot get placed on the PCB

3.  Is 10n Equal to 10nf

4.  I accidentally got the small style of cap instead of the larger style .  Can I still use them if the ratings are correct?  See pic related.

jimilee

1. The opposite the silkscreen so it looks like you're putting them in backwards.
2. Usually exactly the way they are spaced. Middle pin goes in the middle. Other two go however you want, but ideally how it fits best.
3. Yes
4. Caps are caps doesn't really matter unless you're going to run something at 18v.
Enjoy!

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cdevor88

Quote from: jimilee on March 11, 2016, 10:28:32 PM
1. The opposite the silkscreen so it looks like you're putting them in backwards.
2. Usually exactly the way they are spaced. Middle pin goes in the middle. Other two go however you want, but ideally how it fits best.
3. Yes
4. Caps are caps doesn't really matter unless you're going to run something at 18v.
Enjoy!

Call me an idiot but opposite the silkscreen, meaning solder them to the other side of the board?

cdevor88

Also,  can LEDs be wired either way?  Trying to keep all my dumb questions in one thread.

jimilee

Naaaa. You now how the silkscreen is round on the same side the transistor is like this D (that's supposed to be a transistor from the top view) turn your transistor around 180 degrees.

flanagan0718

LEDs can not be wired both ways. Make sure you put the + and - in the right places.

The trim pot goes on the same side as all of the other components.

Remember Google is your friend. I've been doing this for a couple years now and I think I still cook 2 or 3 LEDs a month. Lolz I'm always googling LED wiring. You think I would have it imprinted in my brain. It's like stupid USB ports, I usually have to flip the plug 2 times.

Also ask the questions. We are all friendly and usually answer what we can. Have fun!

cdevor88

One more question for the time being,  is there any way I can skip on using a LED?  I made amistske while ordering and didn't order enough.  I would like to get it working Now and then put on the LED when it arrives,  Hipster is the board in question.

Jebus

Quote from: cdevor88 on March 13, 2016, 04:48:48 PM
One more question for the time being,  is there any way I can skip on using a LED?  I made amistske while ordering and didn't order enough.  I would like to get it working Now and then put on the LED when it arrives,  Hipster is the board in question.

Hey!

Yea, you can. Just don't wire it. :) In that case you can also leave R6 out, that's the current limiting resistor for the led.