Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD: no need for any more Chorus pedals

Started by LaceSensor, August 27, 2023, 11:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Another day another chorus pedal. This time, the Asheville Music Tools ACV-1
https://www.ashevillemusictools.com/products/acv-1

To say this one is special would be an understatement. I have been looking into the AMpT Asheville pedals for some time but never pulled the trigger as in the UK with the import fees it's kinda insane. Also I was waiting for the flanger which was the last release and the video demos left me colder than I was expecting - I said to a friend at the time I actually prefer the chorus.

I picked this up locally, so local the guy was just down the road and dropped it round by hand - good service! It was significantly cheaper than acquiring one new. The box is standard but it comes in a nice suede bag thing which was cute.

The pedal itself is a marvel of engineering and no I haven't had time/courage to take it apart. Suffice to say there are many hundreds of SMD parts ripe for Behringer to clone here. The fact they squeeze all this into a standard Hammond case is beyond me. The efforts for shielding and signal screening while a bit rustic on first glance clearly are effective (theres copper tape round the I/O ribbon, and a laminated metal sheet under the jacks).

The sound itself is continuously varying - the LFOs are beautiful and distinct. It is capable of chorus flanging and doubling in much the same way the Lovetone Flange with No Name is/was (I've got one of those too so I know what I am hearing is legit).

I haven't found a dud sound, it can go to the borders of oscillation not quite as crazily as the Lovetone unit but very much in the same realm of warble-siren. For classic 80s chorus this has it all in spades and so much more. I cant think of a chorus tone you couldnt acheive here, and with the mix control you can also go pure pitch vibrato.

My only critique is two fold: I have a strange affection for stereo and this is mono. Also it would have been cool to have a second footswitch to replace the polarity switch (similar to the original FoxRox TZF, again one of my favourite permanent collection).

Bottom line is this is the crème of analog chorus modulators in a surprisingly compact package and if you can afford one please buy one cos no one's cloning this anytime soon. For me the online videos didnt do this justice, and perhaps dont do the other pedals in the line justice either. I will certainly jump on the delay if I ever see one more affordable than new....

jimilee

Very very cool. I spied 126 resistors. If it gets cloned, good luck with that! it looks like it has lots of possibilities there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

Quote from: jimilee on August 27, 2023, 11:10:52 PM
Very very cool. I spied 126 resistors. If it gets cloned, good luck with that! it looks like it has lots of possibilities there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does absolutely everything and more. Except stereo :)
Apparently there are like 350 parts, and up to maybe 400 in the other units. Its insane.

Bio77

That's bananas! Good score  8)  What delay chip is it using?

LaceSensor

Quote from: Bio77 on August 28, 2023, 01:01:44 AM
That's bananas! Good score  8)  What delay chip is it using?

XVIVE MN3007 reissue at 15v

DLW

The designer of these pedal is/was an active member of the DIY Pedal groups on Facebook. Super knowledgable and nice guy.

gordo

Totally diggin the Lunar Module innerds on this beast.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Nice "Rocky Horror" reference on the main board.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects