News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosure drilling?

Started by Adamo, October 28, 2014, 01:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamo

Did I screw up? I drilled holes for the pots on my Tonebender project based on the schematic/layout/template pages and it looks like the holes are way too large for a standard potentiometer. Should the holes have been smaller than what's shown on the template? I used an 11/16" bit.

Thx

muddyfox

Not knowing the exact template you are referring to, I'd venture to say that any drill marks are only for location purposes, not the actual hole size (seeing how you might not want to use a 16mm pot but maybe a 9mm or a 24mm etc.).

I'm speaking from the top of my head here (need to check later when I get home) but I think I drill my pot holes at 7mm which should be something like 9/32in.

mgwhit

The circles on that drill template represent the entire body of the potentiometer, not the drill hole.  You need to use a 9/32" bit for the shaft of a 16mm pot.

Adamo

Oops! Inexpensive lesson. Thanks guys!

mgwhit

I borked up drilling my first enclosure, too.  Holes the wrong sizes, hardware too close together.  I recommend googling for the "pedal vectorpack" document that contains vector graphics of the enclosures, hardware components and, yes, drill holes.

Justus

A few weeks back I searched several forums for proper drill sizes on various enclosure holes.  Attached is a pic of what I came up with (I printed it and stuck it beside my drill press).

I decided to go metric instead of imperial.  I was able to find a step-bit (uni-bit) on Amazon that goes from 3mm to 13mm, and thus covers ALL the sizes needed.  Starting with a 3mm tip, there's not even a need to drill a pilot hole.  It's also easier to keep track of your sizes when you can just count the steps, i.e. "3... 4... 5... 6..."  Link to the bit, which I highly recommend @ $9.99 w/ free shipping (I ordered two):  Drill Bit

Vallhagen

... i find it enuff with 7mm for the 16mm alpha pots.

Also, vernier caliper is a very useful tool in cases like this.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

bela1961

Tape the underside of the holes you drilled in error. Then mix up some JB Weld steel epoxy and fill the holes from the outside of the enclosure. When cured, sand smooth and remove tape from inside box. It isn't perfect but you can drill this stuff and paint over it etc..

davent

Quote from: Vallhagen on October 28, 2014, 04:42:14 PM
... i find it enuff with 7mm for the 16mm alpha pots.

Also, vernier caliper is a very useful tool in cases like this.

Cheers

It's rare i don't grab mine and measure the part before drilling it's hole.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

I have a small library of parts next to the drill bit carousel and the drill press. I compare the part I want to use with the bits and find the right one that way :)

A good way of doing that is to take the washer off the part and find a drill bit JUUUUST a bit too big to fit through it. (This doesn't work if there is an internal notch like with the mini toggle switches we use.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website