News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's worth buying from the big A?

Started by jessenator, January 30, 2023, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

I'm personally a fan of getting things from the little guy (so to speak), but I've got some Amazon beezosbucks I need to spend and wondered if anyone's had good luck/experience with the kinds of things we buy: be it wire, pots, other passives, etc. I'm inspired by a site where they evaluate stuff from like Harbor Freight and tell you what is good and what isn't to get from them.

E.g., I'm usually wary of buying things like "capacitor assortment" (especially for electrolytic cans), but are MLCCs a decent buy?

Anyhow that's just one example, but if anyone's got some things they've bought and were happy with, I'd appreciate it.

Or if it's better to just spend those funds on something else, that's also good to know!

BricksnBeatles

I have an MLCC assortment that I got from amazon when I was missing some key values in a pinch, and they all test in spec.
as far as parts go, I like the Chanzon LED assortments and Daier Bezels. I avoid most of the other parts on amazon tbh.
If you've got enough amazon bucks, you could get a DCA75 if you don't already have one.

blackhatboojum

I had good luck with a RexQualis branded electrolytic cap assortment.  There were a few caps that I tested that weren't within spec so, they went in the garbage but, overall no issues.  I've used those electrolytics in a lot of my builds.  Chanzon brand resistor and LED assortments have worked for me as well.  I would avoid the box cap assortments.  I ordered one of those sets from the 3pdt store and they were crap.  A lot of those caps weren't even close to spec so, I returned it.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

harryklippton

I just received a little hot plate and some low temp solder paste as an alternative to hand soldering surface mount stuff. The plate was $13. I also buy lead-removal cleaning wipes that I use for my hands after soldering. So not components per se but peripheral stuff

BricksnBeatles

Quote from: harryklippton on January 30, 2023, 06:25:24 PM
I just received a little hot plate and some low temp solder paste as an alternative to hand soldering surface mount stuff. The plate was $13. I also buy lead-removal cleaning wipes that I use for my hands after soldering. So not components per se but peripheral stuff
LMK how the solder paste goes! I need to pick some up for some SMD stuff I want to try. No problem hand soldering it, but it would save me hours in this case lol

harryklippton

Quote from: BricksnBeatles on January 30, 2023, 06:27:56 PM
LMK how the solder paste goes! I need to pick some up for some SMD stuff I want to try. No problem hand soldering it, but it would save me hours in this case lol

Sure thing. I just wabted to try something different. I did notice that the solder paste says it should be refrigerated and I'm definitely not doing that so we'll see I guess

EBK

If you happen to use Switchcraft jacks, I have repeatedly bought them on Amazon.  10 for $20 with free shipping.

Other things I have bought:  trimmer assortments, metal film resistor assortments, stripboard (make sure you specify FR4 so you don't get phenolic by mistake), bus wire, solder....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Bezos bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Quote from: BricksnBeatles on January 30, 2023, 06:11:58 PM
I have an MLCC assortment that I got from amazon ... Chanzon LED assortments and Daier Bezels.
added!

Quote from: blackhatboojum on January 30, 2023, 06:20:20 PM
I had good luck with a RexQualis branded electrolytic cap assortment.
Well bugger, they don't sell them anymore, just their Arduino kits. Sadness. There's a brand, Bojack, but that's an unknown quantity.

Quote from: EBK on January 30, 2023, 06:58:27 PM
If you happen to use Switchcraft jacks, I have repeatedly bought them on Amazon.  10 for $20 with free shipping.
Other things I have bought:  trimmer assortments ... bus wire, solder
I'll have to take a look at what they've got. Usually it's just "yeah whatever" but I'm starting to hone in on a regular monojack.

Have you gotten any bonded wire from the 'Zon? I've thought about trying it to save me some time tinning and having a neater appearance.

Good to know! I've thought about hot plate, but was mostly doing SMD repair, so it was hot air... I might put my hot air station up since I don't use it anymore for that level of rework.

Thanks, all, for the input!

EBK

Quote from: jessenator on January 30, 2023, 07:18:13 PM
Have you gotten any bonded wire from the 'Zon? I've thought about trying it to save me some time tinning and having a neater appearance.
I haven't.  My biggest issue in the past with cheap wire is the temperature at which the insulation melts.  I almost exclusively use Smallbear's wire. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

harryklippton

Oh I'm still working through two boxes of mlcc assortments that I bought like 5 years ago and they've been fine

jessenator

Quote from: EBK on January 30, 2023, 07:25:30 PM
...the temperature at which the insulation melts.  I almost exclusively use Smallbear's wire.
Good call.

derevaun

I've had good results with an MLCC assortment too--from EEEEE. Not crazy about having another packaging style, but they're in spec and coverage is OK (missing a couple E6 values). The EEEEE resistor assortment is working out fine as well--it's full E12 in the 100, 1K, and 10K decades, full E6 in the others, and no oddball values.

There's also small fastener sets--the Hilitchi M2 & M3 button head and spacer sets have been handy, and all four have the same style of box.

gordo

Minnetonka moccasins.  Nice fake fur lining and perfect for shuffling around my cold basement shop.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jessenator