News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Last Man Standing fuzz?

Started by jubal81, February 19, 2013, 04:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I've always really liked the movie. Now I gotta have that fuzz tone. My guess is that the sound is Ry Cooder playing slide bass with some circuit that clips it to almost a square wave. Any guesses on what circuits to look at to start trying to recreate the sound with analog fuzz pedal technology?

The sound I'm talking about starts at 1:10.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Quote from: jubal81 on February 19, 2013, 04:11:15 AM
I've always really liked the movie. Now I gotta have that fuzz tone. My guess is that the sound is Ry Cooder playing slide bass with some circuit that clips it to almost a square wave. Any guesses on what circuits to look at to start trying to recreate the sound with analog fuzz pedal technology?

The sound I'm talking about starts at 1:10.

That's a crazy bunch of noise man,I wonder if a wolf shirt and a bass tuned down to about c would do that? I live making noises with my basses.it keeps me entertained.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Sounds like a tuba into a buzzaround.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

Quote from: culturejam on February 19, 2013, 04:44:58 AM
Sounds like a tuba into a buzzaround.  ;D

Ha. I know it. I considered it might actually be a horn, but I don't think it is. I can't find any production info, but I'm very suspicious it's a synth or digital or something that doesn't have strings and wood.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lincolnic

There's two sounds going on there. One of them is a bass guitar, and the other is a bass saxophone. Unfortunately I can't tell you what kind of distortion is going on, but hopefully this'll help in some way.

jubal81

Ah, so it really is a horn. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bass sax. I've read the first fuzz boxes were made with the intent of making horn sounds.

My first thought on a starting point is something similar to an Ampeg Scrambler with an octave switch ...

Edit: Might an envelope detector be of use to add hornish expression?
- David Fair

stecykmi

sax is technically a reed instrument. an envelope filter on some settings may get you something closeish...

probably a fast envelope with fairly high Q to create high end harmonics.

AllenM

Thread derail...

As a movie junky I must point out that this is a remake of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western Fist Full of Dollars... which of course featured music by Ennio Morricone.. now that man could write some sound tracks.. :)

thread back on track...

jubal81

Quote from: AllenM on February 19, 2013, 06:48:47 AM
Thread derail...

As a movie junky I must point out that this is a remake of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western Fist Full of Dollars... which of course featured music by Ennio Morricone.. now that man could write some sound tracks.. :)

thread back on track...

... Which was a remake of the 1961 film "Yojimbo." Big time movie junky here, too. I've never seen Yojimbo, but just put it in Netflix queue.

Another excellent soundtrack is Neil Young's Dead Man. OK and another fuzz I need ...

- David Fair

lincolnic

Quote from: jubal81 on February 19, 2013, 06:14:45 AM
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bass sax.

You almost never see them, because they're nearly six feet tall and no one wants to haul them around. But they sound incredible.

Case in point:

atreidesheir

Yojimbo is incredible cinema.  My son wore my wife's bathrobe for a week after seeing it a while back.  He never mastered the fast katana to saya move in to the obi.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jubal81

Finally watch Yojimbo last night. Badass. Very badass.

Anyway I've come back around to the Pigdog Electric Eye (which I posted the video for before). I'd love to find out what's in it.

- David Fair

lincolnic

Looks like it's some kind of Tonebender variation?

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=406&p=194752&hilit=electric+eye#p194752

Edit: someone took a stab at a schematic earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to be finished. http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=406&hilit=electric+eye&start=200#p194744

Okay, one more edit. Someone else on FSB claims that the Electric Eye is just a straight up MK I Tonebender. And if it is, I need to build one yesterday.

jubal81

Nice job! How the hell did I miss that thread?

The EE sounds a bit different to me than a MKI, but those damn germs are so sensitive the difference could come from very close attention to picking trannies.
- David Fair

lincolnic

Yeah, someone farther down in the thread says that it looks like some 100n caps were replaced with 150n in the Electric Eye, but otherwise the consensus seems to be a near-stock MK I. I have no Tonebender experience, so I can't really say what it sounds like to me (other than rad).