News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do these effects invert phase? Cornish NG-2 & Drolo Giant Hogweed

Started by cajone5, March 09, 2021, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

Hoping to adapt both these pedals for bass by adding a clean blend which includes a buffer and doesn't like inverted phase.  I have no idea how to determine if these invert... can anyone here help?

madbean

madbean

It looks to me like the input and outputs are out of phase with each other in both cases. But there's a lot going on between so that may not even be much of an issue.

cajone5

cajone5

Also... after thinking more on it... is the phase inversion only really an issue when the two signals are similar (as in mod effects) and less relevant (or entirely irrelevant) when there's heavy distortion involve and the blended signals are significantly different?

cajone5

Anyone? I should know this but does out of phase even matter when considering a clean blend addition to a heavy fuzz or distortion?

Bio77

I would guess, yes.  Even in a distorted signal the fundamental frequency is the clean note from your guitar.

madbean

Quote from: cajone5 on March 10, 2021, 03:05:41 PM
Also... after thinking more on it... is the phase inversion only really an issue when the two signals are similar (as in mod effects) and less relevant (or entirely irrelevant) when there's heavy distortion involve and the blended signals are significantly different?

Yes, barring any other transformation if the input is split then summed 180 deg. out of phase you will have a problem. I don't think it's going to matter much in these cases because there is so much added harmonic content and b/c any LP/HP filters add phase shift as well. Probably the only way to get the truest answer is to either simulate the whole thing or look at the signal summing with a scope. Or, just try it out an listen to the result.

madbean

Also, you can very easily set up a JFET or any old NPN as both buffer and low-gain amplifier so you have both options to choose from (in case one works better than the other).