News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy Deluxe issue - Whine and No Delay with BL3208B

Started by Isakajr, July 28, 2014, 01:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isakajr

All, I think I need some help here. I`m building an Aquaboy Deluxe and finished it up today. Starting calibration, I tested the compander and it works fine, I get signal on pin 7, get signal in Q2 and finally on Pin7 of IC3 (BBD getting signal). When I probe pin 3 of IC3 I get a whine from the Clock and as I tweak the trimmer it only changes the pitch of the whine until the point it stops and dry signal comes through but no repeats. Same happens with BIAS1 from IC3, I get dry signal out of PIN3 but no repeats. I read the other issues posted and my readings seems to be fine on the ICs, but I`m not getting repeats, only Whine and dry signal. Any idea of what could be happening here? I`m sing 2 BL3208B BBD with 3102 clock.

Thanks

jighead81

What's the voltages on the compander? Sounds kinda like what I was going through.  I had some parts in that weren't supposed to be for my BBD's, and compander voltages were way off

Isakajr

OK,
BBDs are BL3208B , clock is BL3102 and Compander is NE570N. The instructions say to omit D3 with these BBD/Clock set. Is it to leave it empty or jumper it?I double checked the jumpers and they`re correct for these as well.

Here`re all the voltages:

Compander:
1-1.90
2-1.84
3-1.84
4-0
5-1.87
6-1.82
7-3.09
8-1.85
9-1.85
10-4,91
11-4.91
12-1.86
13-9.44
14-1.84
15-1.84
16-0.98

Bias Trimpots (20k) half-way
IC3
1-0
2-4.5
3-3.38
4-3.38
5-0
6-4.5
7-3.56
8-8.45

IC4
1-0
2-4.51
3-3.18
4-3.24
5-9.03
6-4.51
7-3.38
8-8.45

Clock
1-9.04
2-4.52
3-0
4-4.52
5-3.48
6-5.31
7-3.68
8-8.45

LF353
1-4.72
2-4.72
3-4.69
4-0
5-4.70
6-4.72
7-4.72
8-9.44

TL062 - Varying as it should for LFO

Anything look weird?

Thanks a lot for the help. I really want to make this work! :-) It`s my hardest build in 3 years!

Isakajr

Anyone has any insights? Little bump for my non-working Delay! :-)

GrindCustoms

You should have half your voltage input at pin5 of the Compander, it's very low right now.

R13 and R14 are the voltage divider (10K per schem/BOM), pull those out, install socket and installed same value resistors in each spot until you get something around 4.5-5V.

You'll need to reduce the values, it does'nt necessarely need to be dead on half supply but close too.

Try that and we'll see where it leads us.

Jighead and I had that same issue, did'nt build one with BL tho... but i beleive there's not 35ways to bias a compander IC.

Hope it helps!

Rej

Edit: Makes a long time that i'm up and my biasing base are blurry, don't take my word on having to reduce the value of the resistors in pairs, it might need to be increased instead..... oh my!
Socket them and try, you'll view the results instantly.

Sorry about that.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Isakajr

Thanks Grind. I`ll give it a go tonight and report back.

Scruffie

Quote from: GrindCustoms on August 04, 2014, 04:30:24 PM
You should have half your voltage input at pin5 of the Compander, it's very low right now.

R13 and R14 are the voltage divider (10K per schem/BOM), pull those out, install socket and installed same value resistors in each spot until you get something around 4.5-5V.

You'll need to reduce the values, it does'nt necessarely need to be dead on half supply but close too.

Try that and we'll see where it leads us.

Jighead and I had that same issue, did'nt build one with BL tho... but i beleive there's not 35ways to bias a compander IC.

Hope it helps!

Rej

Edit: Makes a long time that i'm up and my biasing base are blurry, don't take my word on having to reduce the value of the resistors in pairs, it might need to be increased instead..... oh my!
Socket them and try, you'll view the results instantly.

Sorry about that.
It's not the input pin he wants half supply at, it's the output pin, pin 7.

Which is too low at 3V yes to measure pin 7 while changing those resistor values, ignore pin 5.
Works at Lectric-FX

GrindCustoms

D'oh! 2 pins from the goal......... ::)

At least i had the right resistors...
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

danwelsh

Isakajr

Ok, After a long time,  tried different things, verified all components and etc, I got around getting the Bias on the compander to 4.5v and still no repeats. I get dry signal, and oscilation when adjusting the pots but no repeats whatsoever.

I`m out of ideas, unless anyone else has anything to help this poor soul to get this ZEUS Delay working :-)

teknoman2

Did you omit the D3?
Post all your new voltages (clock and bbd) if you can, including the transistors.