News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Dirt Controller

Started by playpunk, April 26, 2015, 12:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarpathiART

That´s one great looking pedal! That worn out look to the graphics look suits the placement of the pots like a glove. Very inspiring!

Coda-effects

Quote from: playpunk on April 27, 2015, 01:56:10 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on April 27, 2015, 01:01:36 PM
Quote from: playpunk on April 27, 2015, 12:58:07 PM

Quote from: Coda-effects on April 27, 2015, 12:23:32 PM
I really like the graduations around the knobs !

However... so much cable in this one !
Looks like spaghetti ^^

I am not a multi ninja like guru/sensei juansolo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I always end up making a wire or two too short and end up needing to redo them trying to make the guts look clean. There is a fine balance between too much wire length and not enough. At the end of the day, it works and sounds great! Thats what really matters right?

Yeah, that's what I tell myself. I probably should have told dave that I was planning on using the optical switching system, but I hemmed and hawed about it, and only finally decided to do it after I got the enclosures.

Even so, the dual LED's look sweet when they light up, and both circuits are noise free, despite all of the wire. I used silver-teflon wire, which is super super strong and slippery, but not the easiest to  strip, and so I'm kind of leary of stripping it too much after it is soldered to the board.

I might have been able to make this cleaner, but after the delays and frustration of dealing with an uncooperative pcb, I was kind of out of patience.

If (when?) I make another multi, I will most likely use all board mounted pots, and plan even more carefully. It seems to me that Multi's are adventures in compromise anyways - even juan's impeccable builds use solid core wire (which I'm not comfortable with) and other tricks to stay so clean.

Dave's graphics on this one are absolutely spectacular, and way way way way

way

way

way

cooler than anything I ever would have come up with, so I'm happy with the neatness compromises inherent with five off board pots, four off board LED's, and angled PCB's.

I  enjoyed the collaborative process on this, and I hope Dave enjoys the finished pedal as much as I have, despite the messy guts.

Exactly!
Who cares as long as it works!

It is not that messy, just a lot of wire, that's all.
One way to avoid that is to cut the wire directly inside the enclosure. if you solder your wires to the PCB, with a good length, then you can cut it at the good size directly in the enclosure, and solder it.
But if you wire is not easy to work with, I guess that this will be a painful job too! (especially with 2 PCB, 4 leds, 6 pots !)