News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mouser guitar pots

Started by zilla, February 01, 2014, 02:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

So I am in the middle of upgrading the pots and wiring in my prs se 245.

I was looking at some of the pots at stew Mac and other places and me teeth almost fell out. $10 for. 500kohm cts pot?  Almost $100 for a flipping 4 pot  wiring kit???

Has anyone bought pots for their guitars thru mouser? I saw some nice Bourns pots for under $5 and pots with push-pull switches for $8. I'm just not sure if they are the right size for a guitar (I don't use long shaft pots)

Lso, are volume and tone pots linear or audio taper?

RobA

I've got the Bourns PDB183-GTR switched pot and PDB182-GTR MN taper blend pot in one of my guitars. I've got some of the PDB181-GTR's waiting to use in an on board boost too. They are all really nice pots. I've got them in various shaft lengths, some long shafts I've used in a Les Paul and shorter shafts that I've put in an Ibanez body and an SG. The shafts are slightly smaller in diameter than what came stock on the Gibson's, but fit the Ibanez bodies exactly. I haven't had any issues using the slightly small shaft size in the Gibson's though.

Which values and tapers to use is kind of a personal thing and depends on the guitar model what is used in the stock setup. I generally like linear taper in all positions. Some people like audio in all and some use audio/log in the volumes and linear in the tone. With active pickups, I have 25K log pots in both the volume and the tone and they work really well.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).