Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which Iron?

Started by Leevibe, January 31, 2014, 05:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Quote from: DutchMF on January 31, 2014, 06:38:37 PM
- 1st iron:  No-name pencil from Banzai

The one with red handle and a black cap for the tip? I have one of those and used it for 5 min. Then I borrowed my father's JBC 40S, bought a new tip and that's what I've been using so far.

I bought the JBC 20S later for smd and soldering transistors and ICs.

If I ever got enough money to get a soldering station, it'll have to be one of those with interchangeable on the fly (we got a pair of JBCs that can do that at University and they work like a charm for SMD, do you need a bigger tip? then change it in about 15 seconds)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

- 1st: Antex 15W that was about 25 years old. I got it originally to make some stuff for my first car. It lasted a good couple of years into making effects.
- Current workhorse: Antex 18W. It's had a new lead, new element and new tip ;) Only the handle is original. It's like the parts-o-caster of irons. I've also got a 25W Weller for stubborn things like guitar wiring.
- Want to get: I'd love one of those all singing, all dancing stations with a similar sucking station. I just can't justify the expense as I do just fine with the Antex and a cheapo sucker.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

lincolnic

I started out with the POS Radio Shack iron, and built four pedals with it. Then I moved in with someone who owned a Weller WES51, and have been using that ever since. No complaints!

aballen

I had a pos radio shack iron, now I have a seller WESD51,  no need for a new one, I love my Weller.

pickdropper

1st - Radio Shack POS.  Tip eater.

Current - Weller WD1002 with micro switch stand.  Also OKI/Hakko Soldering Tweezer Station.

Want - Metcal Iron Station. Goodbye ceramic heating elements, hello RF!
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper