News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass Pedalboard ideas

Started by jkokura, June 11, 2012, 05:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I would love to collect some ideas for a Bass rig I'm assembling for myself. The core of the rig will be built around an Eden WTDI box, a preamp/DI. Basically, I want to go through no more than 4 pedals, into the DI, which will then split the signal, one half going to the house and the other headed to Taylor's Tiny Giant amp before hitting a cab. The DI essentially acts as a preamp for both, and it keeps the rig portable and lightweight. All I need is the Pedal Train Mini, and I can walk into any place and use whatever cab they have for monitoring, or just use the house system for monitoring or whatever.

The one pedal I have that I'm digging with my Bass right now is the Way Huge Pork Loin I traded for recently. It would be my 'drive' or dirty pedal. I don't need another fuzz or distortion.

I'm thinking I may use a pedal I've had shelved for a while, the Com-Plex which is essentially a Ross Compressor into a Madbean Plex Boost. Two great effects in one box, and fairly good at giving me a great, compressed sound and some boost. Not convinced I'll use this one.

I also have a SW Auto Wah clone I built of a Guitar PCB board. I've never used it, but it's the closest thing to a straight up Envelope Filter I have, and it could work.

I have room for one more 125B effect on the board if I use those three. But if you have a few suggestions let me hear them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sam_c

chorus for me. 

My bass pedal board currently goes - Boss TU2, sansamp programmable bass di, pork barrell, phase 90 into my trace elliot vtype head and a pair of 2x12 zilla cabs. 

LaceSensor

I strongly recommend you try out the WH green rhino if you like the Pork Barrell, its got a great bass boost control. I can see why you'd like the Pork Loin with its clean blend however.

GermanCdn

I'd replace the SWAW clone with a wooly mammoth type circuit, I've tried both out in my bass rig, and the mammoth is just more inspiring personally.  It gives you a fuzz option, and a quasi synth option, and sounds wicked on the upper registers. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

I think a "real" envelope filter is a must if you're planning on playing anything remotely funky (and subtle envelope settings are actually good in many types of music). Nurse Quacky's pretty easy to mod. I know that the Mutron can handle some some pretty hot pickups, but Brian's board isn't done. If you're just going to be playing straight rock, though, you can save space. The SW is good, but the frequency response is so limited that I can't see it being suitable for bass. It should do fine with some cap changes, though.

I think Optical Comps have better bass response, and I consider compression absolutely necessary even for great bassists playing electric basses through great rigs. I'm also convinced that it immediately makes the entire band/recording sound that much more professional. The Ross, even modded, loses a lot of bass.

The guy who writes these reviews is a bassist, and he's also very familiar with the GUTS of the compressors:
http://www.ovnilab.com/

I highly recommend a stroll through there for picking a compressor best suited to bass. I would have two different compressors on a bass before I went for a second dirt pedal, that's for sure.

I'd say go for an octave pedal for the final slot, but nothing's really small enough. :/

Bret608

I don't have anything to add here in terms of suggestions, but I'm glad the Pork Loin is working out for you!  ;)  Had a feeling it would be good on bass with that clean blend and its rumbly nature.

jkokura

I took a look around at some bass boards on various places. The company that I'm most impressed with is the Source Audio guys. The soundblox pedals are revolutionary. I don't like the way they look, but the really do seem to be breaking all the moulds for pedals.

What I was particularly interested in was the Soundblox pro Bass envelope pedal. Pretty freaking cool I'd say. But it's 7" long, and would be gigantic next to all my other pedals. Anyone every play some of their stuff?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals