News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I've managed to build something from my to-do pile.

Started by EBK, October 22, 2018, 04:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

My 6-year-old daughter painted this for me a while ago, and I've finally assembled it.

It's a Tonebender MkI from pickdropper.  I still need to learn how to properly bias it, but it works.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

ahiddentableau

I'm trying to decide whether your daughter loves rainbows, is already a screaming hippie, or is regularly taken to Grateful Dead shows.  In any of those cases, I approve!

jimilee

That's fantastic!!! I will always cherish the ones my daughter did. She even built an EM drive on Beto when she was 9. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

EBK

This thing is a very splattery sounding fuzz, but I've read that may be part of the MkI's "charm".
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jjjimi84

I love that! I try to involve my little guy as much as possible, so to see something like this makes me smile. Awesome painting and a super neat build.

Bret608

This is awesome! I'm just gearing up to post my first daddy-daughter collaborative build report as well...

The MkI is definitely aggressive and can be a bit sputtery. In terms of bias, here a couple of notes from a build I did a while back as well as way too much research on the various forums:

Q1: The collector will be quite close to supply voltage; you may also have some small voltage on the emitter and that's okay.
Q2: The attack pot is actually a bias control; for this one you want to vary from about 7 or 8 volts at counterclockwise and anywhere from 2 to 4 volts at full clockwise on the collector. The range you get will matter for where the sweet spots are; expect some gating as well.
Q3: The collector will be around 8.5 volts or less if you transistor has leakage (which is a good thing). The less voltage you have here, the more sustain there will be. Since you have the trimmer, you should be able to dial it in to taste!  :)

I hope this is helpful!

EBK

Quote from: Bret608 on October 23, 2018, 08:48:19 PM
I hope this is helpful!
Immensley! Thanks!

I haven't done a demo of the pedal for my daughter yet, but she seemed really excited when I told her it makes a guitar sound a little bit like a kazoo.  ;D