News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple new builds (EgoDriver, Fatpants, GreenBean, Hotcake)

Started by Geosh, January 10, 2012, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geosh

Took a long vacation over the holidays and got a little stir-crazy.  So, I built a couple pedals...

Fatpants: On mine, this adds lots of chime and clarity to my sound. I thought it would be "fatter" sounding based on the name, but unless I did something wrong it isn't quite that. Seems to add its own color to the tone with boosted mids and highs too, but I really like it so far. Haven't played at gig level yet but I am impressed with its "bedroom level" performance.

Egodriver: Yes, the LED clipping is VERY nice. Thanks for a sweet build Brian!

Crowther Hotcake clone: done on veroboard. This might be a good future project for Madbeans. It sounds absolutely KILLER with my AC30.

Green Bean (aka "8-oh-9") w/ a Jack Deville's Click-Less True Bypass switch: This is my second build of this circuit and I love it. I built one for a friend over Christmas (Sweede-Tea 2-in-1 build report) and liked it so much I had to have my own. I socketed the diodes so I can play with options in the future but stuck to 1n914's for now since I had a bunch on hand. The Click-Less true bypass is pretty cool too, but I think it would be better to make a silent true-bypass looper with them as a $20 switch for a pedal is pretty expensive.

DutchMF

They all look so nice! really like the variation with the knobs, it would be so easy to just use one type! Any experience with the Egodriver and Green Bean in combination with a Marshall amp?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

Indeed, really clean looking. But where's the gutshots? You gotta post those for us to ogle as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Geosh

Unfortunately no Marshalls at my disposal. Just a couple Vox (AC30, Night Train) and a couple Fenders (Hotrod Deluxe, Blues Jr. NOS), and an Orange Tiny Terror.

I haven't had a chance to give any of these builds a run through at normal levels yet. Hopefully later this week. I have built another GreenBean for a friend that was pretty much identical though and it sounded killer through the HR Deluxe and my Night Train. I had a CmatMods Signa Drive that was my TS pedal previously, but I sold it to build a GreenBean for myself as it is more versatile and does that TS sound really well. Plus, all the fat and bright switching options open up a bunch of new tonal possibilities and it works better with all my different guitars.

As for the gut shots, I will try to take some tonight after. It was 2:00am this morning when I snapped those shots with my camera phone (sick daughter was keeping me up) and I just wanted to share.

jtn191

very nice work!! how'd you get those slick finishes on the ocd & hotcake?

Geosh

"Anodize blue" (I think) and "copper translucent" from Pedal Parts Plus.

nzCdog

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great stuff, your making me want to finish my Fat Pants..The apple green powdercoat is always such a good look.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Geosh

TNblueshawk

John