News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Paint job techniques. Suggestions?

Started by Mojo Fandangle, January 06, 2015, 11:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 17, 2015, 10:19:55 PM
Don't remember where, but I saw a guy take his enclosure outside and shoot it with a shotgun... Destressed fer sure...

Sounds like Mike.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 13, 2015, 09:09:56 AM
Here is one I used to do, before I started etching everything. I would take Rustoleum Hammered paint and spray a thick layer of a dark color then a thick layer of a light color and bake it in a toaster over for 15 minutes at 150 degrees. I played with different colors and got the best results (to me) with a dark color then a light color.

I got "interesting" results like this:
This is a 1776 Effects Buzz Saw

Cody

Thanks Self Destroyer.
That looks awesome. I'll definately give that technique a go. It's exactly the sort of motled look that I like.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: SmoothAction on January 13, 2015, 09:45:55 PM
Hey Dallius Mcnoob, I think your paint job looks great.  Spray (enamel) paint can be used for coating, accenting, dripping, even dipping. I love a good dip swirl. Seems like you got it down, loving the 'spackled' look you have going. Great color choices. @Selfdestroyer, your hammering is great. It's pretty crazy how close you managed to match the undercoat to the knobs. I've only used the cheap hammered stuff, but I've also never baked an enclosure. New Mexican summers and all that I guess.

Here's some of my artwork I REALLY want to put on enclosures. Haven't yet put it on metal, but street art is fun, fast, and cheap. Seeing Selfdestroyers hammered enclosure makes me curious about implementing gas giants into these... I guess I'm trying to say that spray enamel is extremely intuitive and dynamic, you can do a LOT with very little.

I need to work on technique, but here's what I've been focusing on with spray enamel. It's all about contrast, composition, color, attitude. Maybe you'll get some ideas from me/Davent will chime in and put us all to shame with his brilliant technique. Love that dudes artwork  ;D

Looks great, keep em' coming guys.

Max

Thanks Smooth Action.
Those artwords look killer, be sure to post some pics of the enclosures you make with them.
Also, I didn't realise you could use regular enamel spray paint for swirling. Will definately have to buy some Borax and give it a go.
I've done a course in Illustration and do a bit of freelance caricature stuff so your artwork has inspired me to get a bit more graphic design ideas going with my future builds.

Thanks again

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: Gledison on January 14, 2015, 02:11:16 PM
Hi there!
Here a couple of my swirl finshed pedals.
I´m using "magic marble" paint and no Borax needed, only a bucket with water and the mixing paints.
It´s very easy and im quite happy with results.
let me know if you want more information. will be glad to help!

Wow, they look awesome, especially the way you've managed to put the labelling within the caefully placed black swirl section on the yellow pedal (or maybe the swirl plaecement was a bit of luck involved with that one).

I'm planning to do my next enclosure as a pink, white, and brown neopolitan icecream inspired swirl job. The artwork on your enclosures has definately inspired me to get swirling.

Mojo Fandangle

Don't remember where, but I saw a guy take his enclosure outside and shoot it with a shotgun... Destressed fer sure...

I like the sound of that idea.
I doubt that my apartment block neighbours would dig shotguns blasting from my garage but I might be able to organise something with some rural friends. Definately sounds like fun.

blearyeyes

Maybe an anachoic chamber that absorbs all sound?

davent

Quote from: Dallius Mcnoob on January 19, 2015, 12:02:37 AM

I like the sound of that idea.
I doubt that my apartment block neighbours would dig shotguns blasting from my garage but I might be able to organise something with some rural friends. Definately sounds like fun.

Mike S.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10532.msg95852#msg95852
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

I'm a fan of using alcohol inks to create interesting, very unique finishes. It needs to be clear coated with something non-solvent based, so that sort of limits things. I used Mod Podge (very lightly) in a crosshatch pattern and then apply spray acrylic. All this stuff you can get at Michael's or Joann Fabric.

Here are a few examples:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

blearyeyes

I like alcohol ink but I never got the right colors... And I'm better with graphics on a computer.   So the last one I did was decal on a prepainted enclosure....

davent

Those alcohol ink pedals are super, what a great looking collection!
dave

culturejam

Quote from: davent on January 19, 2015, 03:09:50 AM
dave

Thanks! Couldn't be easier, honestly. Much easier than rattle-can paint.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: culturejam on January 19, 2015, 03:36:11 AM
dave

Wow, I'd never heard of alcohol ink. Will definately look into it.
I've painted up a brass coloured enclosure that I want to apply some sort of weathered / rusted paint effects to so this could be perfect.
Thanks.

dont-tase-me-bro

I thought this would save me money.

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: culturejam on January 19, 2015, 03:36:11 AM
dave

Dude those look incredible. Got a tutorial you can point to? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

davent