News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

my Egodriver sounds too fizzy

Started by whitewave, September 07, 2013, 03:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitewave

Hi, my first post here.
I'm from Italy, and I've built some Madbean projects enjoying the very good quality PCB.
Last I built is the Egodriver. Everything works, but I need to tweak it a little bit, I don't love its tone, it's fizzy.
I haven't used the clip switch. All caps are Panasonic, resistors are metal film 1%.
IC is a TL82CP. Transistors are 2N7000. Clipping diode is a 1N34A. As for D3 and D4 I've used a couple of 5mm red regular leds, but as I said I don't have the clip switch.
500kA for gain pot and 100kA for volume pot.
It sits next to a Joyo Ultimate Drive, which is supposed to be the same pedal.
The Joyo has much more gain, way too much for my needs, and that's why I changed the gain pot, I wanted something lower gainish. But it sounds smoother and rounder, and the top end isn't fuzzy as on mine.
I've tried my egodriver with three different amps and four guitars. The issue is always there, in the pedal.

What should I change? IC? Clipping diode?

The first mod will be adding the clip switch, but before doing an hole in an alredy built pedal I wanted to know if swapping something else could improve its tone.

Thanks.

Marco.

kothoma

First of all, are you sure your clipping arrangement (2N7000s and 1N34A) is working without the switch? That is, have you bridged the correct pads?
Adding the clip switch wouldn't provide any improvement then, and there must be an error elsewhere.

whitewave

Hi,

no, I'm not. But if it isn't working, the pedal wouldn't sound well. Am I wrong?
I haven't bridged any pad. In the last version of the pcb should I? But I have soldered the extra two leds.
If the problem is a missing bridge, the switch should address that.

Thank for your support.

kothoma

If you leave off the switch and do nothing else then none of the clippers work.
The distortion you hear could be the op amp itself. It would only be present at higher gain settings.
Take a small wire and temporarily bridge the clip pads:

O  O--O
  CLIP

This will give you the MOSFETs/Diode. Bridging the other side will give you the LEDs.

whitewave

Thanks, I did what you suggest.
I do prefer the mosfet/diode setting, after A/Bing them with LEDs.
Anyway, the pedal still need some tweaking. I want more bass and a smoother clipping.

pedalman

Sounds like you want a Green Bean or a Mudbunny
As far as Joyo goes, try the Vintage Overdrive. Its way better than the Ultimate
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

whitewave

I tried my Egodriver better in the last few weeks. And recently I had the chance to A/B it with an original OCD, don't know which version though.
Well, the Egodriver is an awesome pedal, much better than the original one.
Thanks madbean!