News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

pulsating LED

Started by zilla, October 31, 2013, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

Gentlemen,

I have some OD/distortion pedals that I would like to add a pulsating indicator LED to. these pedals are IC or JFET based.

I want something similar to the effect when you use LEDs as clipping diodes, but these circuits don't use clipping diodes.

Any suggestions on how to do this?  Should I tap into the raw guitar input signal for the positive side of the LEDs?

Thanks

Tim

jkokura

It sounds like you want an envelope control to brighten your LED, so that the harder you strum the LED gets brighter. Sound about right?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

zilla

slimtriggers

I think chromesphere has a shared project for a sound-to-light pcb.  Should do what you're looking for.

Hopefully he won't mind my posting this:

midwayfair

Don't take the raw guitar signal -- you'll weaken it by splitting it. Instead, tap the output of the first transistor, decouple it, and then make a simple envelope circuit. You can just use basics of the rectifier from any simple optical compressor for a good example -- those are made to create a voltage swing appropriate for an LED so you don't have to tinker as much. Omit the hold cap from whatever you use. This is a MUCH lower parts count than sound-to-light, though it will only be able to light up a couple LEDs (sound to light can do something like 8).