Main Menu

Any Arduino ninjas out there...?

Started by cooder, May 11, 2018, 05:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woolie

Quote from: Dave_B on May 21, 2018, 05:00:06 PM
Quote from: woolie on May 14, 2018, 12:53:57 PM
Problem is, you'll need ADC/DAC.
The Teensy has both of those.  The newer models can run up to 240mhz, so it's possible to at least experiment with them as-is.

The teensy 3.6 is crazy impressive. An ARM Cortex m4? Crazy!
That being said the ADC's are 13 bit and the DAC are 12 bit resolution. Fun to play with but not really suitable for audio processing. IMHO of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dave_B

Quote from: woolie on May 21, 2018, 05:09:04 PM
The Teensy has both of those.  The newer models can run up to 240mhz, so it's possible to at least experiment with them as-is.

The teensy 3.6 is crazy impressive. An ARM Cortex m4? Crazy!
That being said the ADC's are 13 bit and the DAC are 12 bit resolution. Fun to play with but not really suitable for audio processing. IMHO of course.

Yep.  I totally agree.  Having said that, I still have a 12-bit Roland SDE 1000 delay that sounds pretty good.  :)

EBRAddict

The Teensy is the gold standard of Arduino framework boards. The community is the best, and Paul (the creator) was a contributor to many improvements in the Arduino framework. His stuff works.

oip

i've got an arduino but haven't touched it for ages, successfully made it scroll text across a 2 line screen at one point.  had some ideas to make a MIDI sequencer but never got into it. 

definitely interested in PIC programming but damn it feels like deep water to jump into without a programming or hardware design background.

on a semi-related note there are a few very interesting diy DSP platforms like axoloti and bela.

Dave_B

Quote from: oip on May 22, 2018, 03:10:57 AM
i've got an arduino but haven't touched it for ages, successfully made it scroll text across a 2 line screen at one point.  had some ideas to make a MIDI sequencer but never got into it. 

definitely interested in PIC programming but damn it feels like deep water to jump into without a programming or hardware design background.

on a semi-related note there are a few very interesting diy DSP platforms like axoloti and bela.

FWIW, I spent a few years with PICs and grew tired of the way their memory is set up in pages (which may no longer be the case). I switched to AVRs and found those much easier to code for.  This was all pre-Arduino and done in assembler, again FWIW.  :)

If I was to start from scratch today, I'd probably start with an ARM Cortex processor (what the Teensy boards use), or as you said a DSP platform.   

woolie

Quote from: Dave_B on May 23, 2018, 05:09:47 AM
Quote from: oip on May 22, 2018, 03:10:57 AM

FWIW, I spent a few years with PICs and grew tired of the way their memory is set up in pages (which may no longer be the case). I switched to AVRs and found those much easier to code for.  This was all pre-Arduino and done in assembler, again FWIW.  :)

If I was to start from scratch today, I'd probably start with an ARM Cortex processor (what the Teensy boards use), or as you said a DSP platform.   

The bank switching is really only on 8 bit (and to a much lesser degree the 16 bit) M/CPUs. PICs also have a DSP family of chips, but as I've spent a lot of time on ARM, Cortex-M7 would be my first choice, maybe including the SHARC or Keystone stuff.

Dave_B

That makes sense.  This was around 1998, and I was learning on the PIC16 series.  I remember now that the other big attraction with the AVRs was the large number of registers.  I suppose these things only really matter if you're using assembler exclusively, which was a corner I painted myself into more than a few times. 

EBRAddict

Right now Arrow has the legit Arduino Uno R3 (this is what 99% of people mean when they say Arduino) for $20 with free overnight shipping.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/a000066/arduino-corporation