News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for those teeny tiny russian germanium transistors

Started by claytushaywood, December 02, 2017, 04:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I bought some russian germaniums gt308 or something back in the day.  they were super teeny tiny and i remember them actually sounding pretty good.  I'm trying to build the stubbii.  I found the gt308 but i'm not sure if those are the ones I used- does anyone have any good sounding experience with some uber small russian transistors.

got some for sale maybe?

LaceSensor

think ive got a very large stash of these let me have a root around

they look like little flying saucers, with really spindly legs from memory

Space Monkey

claytushaywood

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 03, 2017, 02:03:14 PM

exactly they are super fragile.  but i remember them sounding pretty good.  id love to take some off your hands!  I was thinking about buying one of those $15 transistor testers and a lot of 30 of the 309b's for $15.  but id rather pay you to get me a set or 2.

Thanks!

LaceSensor

Quote from: claytushaywood on December 03, 2017, 07:13:07 PM

Ian
exactly they are super fragile.  but i remember them sounding pretty good.  id love to take some off your hands!  I was thinking about buying one of those $15 transistor testers and a lot of 30 of the 309b's for $15.  but id rather pay you to get me a set or 2.

Thanks!

Hey man
In the event I can find them, Ive no way of testing them sorry.

Will have a dig for them

Ian

chromesphere

GT108V and GT309G are both Russian transistors I've had that fits your description (tiny, thin legs and sound good with good gains, also very low leakage as is typical with russians).  They are now pretty hard to find / expensive, last time I checked anyway which was some time ago.
Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

claytushaywood

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 04, 2017, 11:35:26 PM
Quote from: claytushaywood on December 03, 2017, 07:13:07 PM

Ian

Thanks!

Hey man
In the event I can find them, Ive no way of testing them sorry.

Will have a dig for them

Ian

ill test em if you dont mind sending me a few.  They arent too expensive but I really dont wanna buy 30 of em.  If you send me a handful I could test em and send em back to you labeled

LaceSensor

Hey

Ive had a dig around and I cant find them
Im wondering now if I passed them on some time ago but cant honestly remember. Bugging me a bit...but I guess I have to say sorry for now

Ian

claytushaywood

Quote from: chromesphere on December 05, 2017, 02:25:55 AM
GT108V and GT309G are both Russian transistors I've had that fits your description (tiny, thin legs and sound good with good gains, also very low leakage as is typical with russians).  They are now pretty hard to find / expensive, last time I checked anyway which was some time ago.
Cheers
Paul

theyre all over ebay for about .50 cents shipped from russia-  did you have a preference on any of the 309's?  the guy is selling a bunch of different ones... 309b, 309g, 309a, 309e etc...

from what ive found the 309b are supposed to range from 60 to 180

chromesphere

Well, the suffix determines the gain usually.  I have only used 309g which had a good spread of gains.

If other pedal builders have reported those gains then you will be fine.  If they are from a datasheet then you have to know the test conditions for the transistors before you can work out whether they will measure correctly for fuzz pedals.  With that said ive only had a few come up much less then the datasheet to cause a problem.  Even then these still sounded fine in circuit!  (it308b).
Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube